Random thoughts on romantic relationships

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I m turning 18 and people of my age (or even younger than me) are all talking about wanting boyfriends/girlfriends, but I don't understand.
Yesterday a younger girl said I must have been in a relationship since I m nearly nearly 18, I just answered never cuz I studied in a girl school and lack motives in knowing others....... But second thought I seemed to have been disgusted by the thought of being in a relationship since.... kindergarten(?
It feels so insecure and dependent to be so connected to another person........

Somehow I can like a person so easily, but just can't/scared to develop romantic relationship with them......

And somehow I don't think I am that good to be loved another one.

Just random thoughts
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It is fine to not want a romantic relationship or to have zero interest in sex.
Plenty of people have other ambitions and interests.
anosmianAcrimony
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's completely fine to be uninterested in romance. Don't get yourself into a relationship just because it's socially normal.

That said, being romantically connected with someone can be incredibly joyful and rewarding. It is also emotionally dangerous - it can feel really bad if things go wrong. It makes you very vulnerable to the other person. But that's also what makes it joyful - feeling like you can be entirely vulnerable with the other person, and knowing they won't use that to hurt you.

Romance doesn't have to entail dependence on the other person. People often do become too dependent on their partners, though, and that isn't necessarily healthy. It's important to keep in touch with other people - family and other close friends - keeping a sense of perspective on what's going on in the relationship, and continuing to be an independently, emotionally stable person.

You are definitely "good enough" to be loved by another person. I am certain that there are many people out there who could love you very deeply, and they would be right to do so. All the same, if that's how you feel now, it's reasonable to take some time to work on giving yourself the love you deserve before you (potentially) get anyone else involved.
username3477548
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Completely fine. Don't worry about it. Many people your age choose not to be in relationships because there's more to life than finding a partner. And you are good enough to be loved. Have more confidence in yourself
Last edited by username3477548; 1 month ago
Moonlight Rain
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's your life bro you don't need to follow the crowd it doesn't make you abnormal
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
2.74%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
15.07%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (12)
16.44%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (8)
10.96%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (28)
38.36%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (12)
16.44%

Watched Threads