Struggling to move on from past event

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,

I am struggling to move on from a past traumatic event.

A few years ago, I hurt a good friend of mine by a series of really stupid events. Just to provide more context, I was in a really bad mental space when this happened and I really regret my actions and how I handled everything. I ended up getting treatment for my mental health, but that friend has never forgiven me nor wanted to listen to my side of things (but he listened to the other people involved), which I understand. I tried reaching out to them a year later to resolve things but they didn’t want to talk to me. I completely understand this and don’t feel anything towards them because I know I was in the wrong.

But ever since this happened a few years ago, it feels like my brain has been stuck in a loop repeating the same event every day and trying to think about what I should have done or what I could have done better. It feels like a nightmare.

I had a lot of feelings towards the person that I hurt but since the event was so long ago, I don’t understand why I cannot move on. I don’t know if this is normal for people that go through particularly traumatising events? I know it was obviously traumatic for that person, but I honestly was going through a lot mentally and the person I was then is not truly who I am.

I was wondering if this is a normal thing that people deal with? I can’t talk to my friends since I don’t think they would understand how I am feeling, and I don’t entirely feel comfortable talking to them about this. If it’s not normal, is there any actions you would recommend? Should I see a therapist or someone like this?

Thanks for any help!
Msbrownie.xo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi,

I am struggling to move on from a past traumatic event.

A few years ago, I hurt a good friend of mine by a series of really stupid events. Just to provide more context, I was in a really bad mental space when this happened and I really regret my actions and how I handled everything. I ended up getting treatment for my mental health, but that friend has never forgiven me nor wanted to listen to my side of things (but he listened to the other people involved), which I understand. I tried reaching out to them a year later to resolve things but they didn’t want to talk to me. I completely understand this and don’t feel anything towards them because I know I was in the wrong.

But ever since this happened a few years ago, it feels like my brain has been stuck in a loop repeating the same event every day and trying to think about what I should have done or what I could have done better. It feels like a nightmare.

I had a lot of feelings towards the person that I hurt but since the event was so long ago, I don’t understand why I cannot move on. I don’t know if this is normal for people that go through particularly traumatising events? I know it was obviously traumatic for that person, but I honestly was going through a lot mentally and the person I was then is not truly who I am.

I was wondering if this is a normal thing that people deal with? I can’t talk to my friends since I don’t think they would understand how I am feeling, and I don’t entirely feel comfortable talking to them about this. If it’s not normal, is there any actions you would recommend? Should I see a therapist or someone like this?

Thanks for any help!
If you find it daunting to see a therapist or it’s too expensive I know that there are therapist apps out there, as boring as it may sound keeping a diary would defo help bc it enables u to get ur thoughts out on paper. Perhaps research something called “shadow work” it’s a good way to help you move on from the past and heal urself mentally. I wish you all the best good luck xx
nikkiblonsky
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
gonna be honest you might be suffering form real event ocd https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrJ...g3ur5KJLzALgU-
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (5)
8.93%
I need help researching courses (5)
8.93%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
5.36%
I need help with my personal statement (24)
42.86%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (14)
25%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
3.57%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
5.36%

Watched Threads