m343_
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I applied for application in Fall 2021, but have decided to reapply for 2022 entry and take a gap year. I am currently wondering whether I should 'Decline' my firm offer on UCAS or if I should withdraw my application from that university? Is one preferable to the other? I will be reapplying to my current firmed uni, and am hoping to get an offer there again as a backup, so which one should I do?
Thanks in advance.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You can do either. It doesn’t matter which.
m343_
Rep:
?
PQ Okay, thank you. Also, would you happen to know the chances of receiving an offer again from the university I firmed but will decline/withdraw from?
Last edited by m343_; 1 month ago
McGinger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You could simply 'defer' your current offer to a 2022 start - just ask the University. This is usually very straightforward and just means you are delaying entry for a year - everything else stays the same - and you dont need to reapply.
m343_
Rep:
?
Sorry, perhaps I haven't worded my situation properly. I have a firm offer for UCL but would like to reapply because I am keen to get into either Oxford or LSE. When I reapply, I would like to maximize my chances of getting an offer from UCL again (as a backup), in case I don't make either of my desired offers. That's why I am wondering if either declining or withdrawing is the better option, as I don't want to discourage UCL from offering me a place again.
McGinger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by m343_)
Sorry, perhaps I haven't worded my situation properly. I have a firm offer for UCL but would like to reapply because I am keen to get into either Oxford or LSE. When I reapply, I would like to maximize my chances of getting an offer from UCL again (as a backup), in case I don't make either of my desired offers. That's why I am wondering if either declining or withdrawing is the better option, as I don't want to discourage UCL from offering me a place again.
It wont make any difference to UCL - honestly.
They get thousands of applications and dont have time micro-manage to that extent.
Decline the place, close your application down for this year, and get on with your summer.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by m343_)
The only thing that would put UCL off is if you mess them around, hanging on to a place and then changing your mind multiple times.
Withdrawing/declining PROMTPLY and before results day is fine.
m343_
Rep:
?
Great, thank you for your responses.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.64%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (31)
14.69%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (57)
27.01%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (41)
19.43%

Watched Threads