The Student Room Group

Is studying abroad worth it?

I'm just finishing my A Levels and am taking a gap year after which I will reapply to medical school. Considering that I have some family in France, I am (and speak) French, and that tuition for medicine is about 600 euros a year, I've been considering applying for university there as well. On the other hand, my immediate family and girlfriend are here in the UK and I'd be leaving them behind for potentially long stretches at a time.

For those of you that have studied abroad (especially those that have done medicine); is it worth it to go abroad and why/why not?
I was in the same situation last year and eventually decided against studying in France. Whilst tuition is very low, you have to remember that you will have to pay rent and living costs without any student loan, which will be over 1500 Euros a month. Also, apparently, university is not as good there, the structure is far from ideal and a degree from France is worth less than one from the UK. I've heard that passing the first-year exam for Medicine is extremely difficult, all in all studying Med (or other courses) there is much harder. The film 'The Freshman' shows what it's like, I'd recommend it greatly!
Those were my reasons for choosing the UK in the end. Most people I spoke to shared this view. Let me know what you decide though, if you do end up going I'd love to see how it worked out for you!
Original post by chloenix
I was in the same situation last year and eventually decided against studying in France. Whilst tuition is very low, you have to remember that you will have to pay rent and living costs without any student loan, which will be over 1500 Euros a month. Also, apparently, university is not as good there, the structure is far from ideal and a degree from France is worth less than one from the UK. I've heard that passing the first-year exam for Medicine is extremely difficult, all in all studying Med (or other courses) there is much harder. The film 'The Freshman' shows what it's like, I'd recommend it greatly!
Those were my reasons for choosing the UK in the end. Most people I spoke to shared this view. Let me know what you decide though, if you do end up going I'd love to see how it worked out for you!

Thank you! I'll definitely keep all that in mind and take a look at the film (and give updates should I end up going to France)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending