Guffers123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello everyone, I finished secondary school with good grades but no idea what I wanted to do. So I took a job in a factory working in the assembly line. The job pays an okay wage but I hate it and can't imagine working there for the rest of my life. After doing some labouring for my dad's builder mate on the weekends I realised that I really enjoy construction. I woulld love to learn a trade, but I fear I'm am too old now for an apprenticeship( Im 20 turning 21 in a few months) is it to late for me to get an apprenticeship?Thank you
Mara1680
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Of course it's not too late for an apprenticeship at 21!

The only place that I know of that has age limits on apprenticeships is the military (I wanted to go into the RAF for a while, and some of them have an upper boundary of 45 years or something like that).

As someone who has gone through many apprenticeship interviews, selection days etc, I can tell you that at 21 you might stand out less than at 16.

I have interviewed for engineering roles only so I can only speak about this industry, but usually the people who got the interviews were 19-21. The oldest I've seen was 27 I think. Had a girl who was a great candidate at 24. Pretty sure she got the position.

So 21 is definitely not too late. If you've got what it takes, they'll take you with open arms.

If you have any questions just hit me up, I'll try to help.
Guffers123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Mara1680)
Of course it's not too late for an apprenticeship at 21!

The only place that I know of that has age limits on apprenticeships is the military (I wanted to go into the RAF for a while, and some of them have an upper boundary of 45 years or something like that).

As someone who has gone through many apprenticeship interviews, selection days etc, I can tell you that at 21 you might stand out less than at 16.

I have interviewed for engineering roles only so I can only speak about this industry, but usually the people who got the interviews were 19-21. The oldest I've seen was 27 I think. Had a girl who was a great candidate at 24. Pretty sure she got the position.

So 21 is definitely not too late. If you've got what it takes, they'll take you with open arms.

If you have any questions just hit me up, I'll try to help.
Thank you for responding, I had been told I woulld struggle because employers prefer younger candidates which has put me off applying so far. I will start searching tonight 👍 Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (24)
13.41%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.7%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
5.03%
I need help with my personal statement (75)
41.9%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (42)
23.46%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.68%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (14)
7.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed