GCSE Student Having Trouble With Maths

Watch
ecoleaf
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’d quite like to study Economics at Cambridge, but I know the degree is very mathematical and they look a lot at maths grades - I’m predicted an 8 in higher maths and further maths but I need a 9. Any tips? I’m Y10 going into Y11 this September btw, and I’m using this summer wisely, doing 5-6 hrs revision per day and I’m seeing a maths tutor twice a week now.
username5737602
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Well that title is rather deceptive
ecoleaf
Rep:
?
(Original post by tej3141)
Well that title is rather deceptive
Haha what do you mean X
username5737602
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by economistgirl)
Haha what do you mean X
I would say that an 8 in maths and further maths is struggling. When you say you're revising 5/6 hours, is that soley maths or all gcse subjects?
ecoleaf
Rep:
?
(Original post by tej3141)
I would say that an 8 in maths and further maths is struggling. When you say you're revising 5/6 hours, is that soley maths or all gcse subjects?
All gcse subjects, but I spend 1-2 hrs per day for maths
flaurie
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
All gcse subjects, but I spend 1-2 hrs per day for maths
What grades are you currently receiving in maths? Btw Oxbridge admissions see 8s and 9s as the same grade for now
Last edited by laurawatt; 1 month ago
ecoleaf
Rep:
?
(Original post by laurawatt)
What grades are you currently receiving in maths? Btw Oxbridge admissions see 8s and 9s as the same grade for now
All 8s but did particularly badly on one test, so an 8. Even though oxbridge sees 8s/9s the same I’d really like to get all 9s lmao haha
flaurie
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
All 8s but did particularly badly on one test, so an 8. Even though oxbridge sees 8s/9s the same I’d really like to get all 9s lmao haha
Haha I get you, but remember not to push yourself too hard and burn out before Y11 even starts :yes:
Past papers/past paper questions are the best way to consolidate your knowledge and check your understanding
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (19)
7.63%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
14.86%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (45)
18.07%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.06%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (66)
26.51%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
18.88%

Watched Threads