Msbrownie.xo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
What are each of these unis like: University of Warwick , University of Birmingham, University of Liverpool, University of Newcastle, University of Sheffield, University of Bristol , University of Leeds, University of Nottingham

Like are they diverse, or if u have any insider info on any of these unis I would really appreciate it
Wildean99
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, so I can't much to the other universities but I've just graduated from Newcastle University and so might be able to help on that front. In terms of diversity there are lots of different communities represented and attending the university, as well as the local community being quite diverse. In fact I would say Newcastle is a more ethnically diverse city than the university is and so that might be worth keeping in mind. I don't know though what sort of diversity you are referring to so I can expand more if you want me to, if you specify in what ways you mean. More broadly, I personally think that the city is a great place to study in because its got loads to do without being super spread out and also at reasonable prices, especially in comparison to somewhere like London. Alongside this, the university is essentially integrated into the city and so everything that you need is all within a close, walking distance. However, if you're also jnterested in travelling a bit whilst at university, there are some really good transportation links to the seaside, and places like Durham and Edinburgh, for example. In terms of the university itself, I think that the facilities are really good and the teaching that I received was also really good. Although, the impact of the strikes and subsequent pandemic did mean that I lost out on a lot of face to face teaching, but that's something that happened across the country and isn't unique to Newcastle. I'd say that it's worth considering alongside the university, the differences in the courses at the different institutions because this can vary a lot depending on your course. I studied English Literature and History if that's any help, so can answe specific queries about those courses. Otherwise though I'd be happy to answer any follow up questions if you would like, and feel free to send me a private message as well to ask questions if you'd rather. Best of luck with your decisions!
Msbrownie.xo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Wildean99)
Hi, so I can't much to the other universities but I've just graduated from Newcastle University and so might be able to help on that front. In terms of diversity there are lots of different communities represented and attending the university, as well as the local community being quite diverse. In fact I would say Newcastle is a more ethnically diverse city than the university is and so that might be worth keeping in mind. I don't know though what sort of diversity you are referring to so I can expand more if you want me to, if you specify in what ways you mean. More broadly, I personally think that the city is a great place to study in because its got loads to do without being super spread out and also at reasonable prices, especially in comparison to somewhere like London. Alongside this, the university is essentially integrated into the city and so everything that you need is all within a close, walking distance. However, if you're also jnterested in travelling a bit whilst at university, there are some really good transportation links to the seaside, and places like Durham and Edinburgh, for example. In terms of the university itself, I think that the facilities are really good and the teaching that I received was also really good. Although, the impact of the strikes and subsequent pandemic did mean that I lost out on a lot of face to face teaching, but that's something that happened across the country and isn't unique to Newcastle. I'd say that it's worth considering alongside the university, the differences in the courses at the different institutions because this can vary a lot depending on your course. I studied English Literature and History if that's any help, so can answe specific queries about those courses. Otherwise though I'd be happy to answer any follow up questions if you would like, and feel free to send me a private message as well to ask questions if you'd rather. Best of luck with your decisions!
Omdss thank you so so much for ur reply the degree ur doing is similar to one that I’m looking to do I would love to pm you again thank you xx
Wildean99
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Msbrownie.xo)
Omdss thank you so so much for ur reply the degree ur doing is similar to one that I’m looking to do I would love to pm you again thank you xx
No problem, happy to help!
University of Sheffield Students
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What are each of these unis like: University of Warwick , University of Birmingham, University of Liverpool, University of Newcastle, University of Sheffield, University of Bristol , University of Leeds, University of Nottingham

Like are they diverse, or if u have any insider info on any of these unis I would really appreciate it
Hi!

Its great to see you are thinking about the University of Sheffield! I have just finished my second year here, and i am happy to help with any advice you may need.

In terms of diversity, the University is extremely inclusive. Women make up 50 per cent of our workforce, nearly 15 per cent of our staff are from a Black, Asian and Other Minority Ethnic background, and international colleagues make up 21 per cent. We have more than 29,000 students, including 9,505 students from 140 countries.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask!

Georgia
UoB - Engineering and Physical Sciences
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Hi,

I've just finished my third year at Birmingham. I've really enjoyed my time there so far, the student vibe is very good and the social life i was able to have has been excellent (except for corona). The teaching and lecturers etc. depend on the course but the campus is really green and very aesthetic if that's what you like. The student body is in some ways very diverse and in others not? I think it depends what sort of circle you run in, there are a lot of BAME students and loads of different nationalities. Again, i think the number of international and BAME students depends on the course you're on but it's easy to meet people similar to you through societies etc.

Hope this helps,

Caitlin
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (24)
13.48%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.74%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
5.06%
I need help with my personal statement (75)
42.13%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (41)
23.03%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.69%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (14)
7.87%

Watched Threads