Fahim4
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
As I’ve chosen A level physics I’m eligible for the Mathematical, Engineering and Computer Science Programme (MEC). It’s 4 days a week at sixth form. The a levels that I’ve chosen are physics mathematics and computer science but it says something about choosing fast track maths. I’m confused if that’s the same as a level maths or is it a maths where they give you more information in a shorter period. I would like to get some opinions from people who’ve taken fast track maths or done one of the programmes.
NovaeSci
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I believe a Fast Track is when you study AS and A2 within the year, instead of over 2 years. But incorporate it into one whole single course.
Interea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Fahim4)
As I’ve chosen A level physics I’m eligible for the Mathematical, Engineering and Computer Science Programme (MEC). It’s 4 days a week at sixth form. The a levels that I’ve chosen are physics mathematics and computer science but it says something about choosing fast track maths. I’m confused if that’s the same as a level maths or is it a maths where they give you more information in a shorter period. I would like to get some opinions from people who’ve taken fast track maths or done one of the programmes.
Fast track maths in the usual sense (doing both years' content within year 12) is relatively common compared to other subjects, as schools sometimes choose to teach all of maths in year 12 and then all of further maths in year 13. Is that maybe what your sixth form does with this program? I can't see any other reason to rush to sit it in year 12, since you'd then only be doing 2 A levels in one sitting in year 13, which unis don't always like.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (19)
7.54%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
15.08%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (45)
17.86%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (36)
14.29%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (67)
26.59%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
18.65%

Watched Threads