strsst
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I applied to study Politics & International Relations at uni this year but I'm debating to actually go or not. I want to work for the civil service, any governmental positions or possibly for NGOs. Is there any way that I can get into any of these positions aside from getting a degree. I don't have that much experience in any of these areas but if I did get relevant experience would I be accepted or is uni the only way for me to get into these fields?
Please any advice would be appreciated!
AnActor184
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes there are! You can definitely try for a civil service position through the civil service fast stream!
Here is a link to it: https://www.faststream.gov.uk/

After completing some of the courses you might be accredited too. There are 15 schemes you can look into.

I'm not old enough to apply yet but I'm sure you can get in! If you do, tell me about your experience.

Good luck!
AnActor184
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you have any experience in shcool, like school council or any student voice forum / club that you did work for, you can put that. It counts as voluntary experience.
UniofReading
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by strsst)
I applied to study Politics & International Relations at uni this year but I'm debating to actually go or not. I want to work for the civil service, any governmental positions or possibly for NGOs. Is there any way that I can get into any of these positions aside from getting a degree. I don't have that much experience in any of these areas but if I did get relevant experience would I be accepted or is uni the only way for me to get into these fields?
Please any advice would be appreciated!
Hey strsst,

I've just finished my second year of politics and IR, and I personally love the course! With the things you are interested in doing, it seems to me like you would actually really enjoy learning about the topics that are typically covered in these degrees. Whilst it is definitely possible to get into these roles without a degree, it will be a lot harder - a degree would give you a step up.

Don't completely rule out uni - you would probably really enjoy it! It would also give you more knowledge that you could use going into these roles in the future.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Daisy
2nd year politics and international relations student
Last edited by UniofReading; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (3)
7.5%
I need help researching courses (3)
7.5%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
7.5%
I need help with my personal statement (20)
50%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (8)
20%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (1)
2.5%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (2)
5%

Watched Threads