Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering randomly if the University as a whole has rules and regulations about what one can bring to ones room. Obviously they have to be legal things, but would there be a concern about such things as a shisha/hookah (not smoked inside) or a full-fledged, hard-liquor bar? Do individual colleges have individual rules? I can't seem to find any information about this.

ReputationRep:
    Individual colleges have individual rules. E.g. we're not allowed fridges, kettles or rice cookers but some colleges are.

ReputationRep:
    I think Queens' has a no smoking in college rule, so presumably hookahs are a no-go...

ReputationRep:
    Where could I find out about this? I don't really want to email the college I'm applying to asking whether I can bring these things..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azer)
    Where could I find out about this? I don't really want to email the college I'm applying to asking whether I can bring these things..
    Some colleges might have their accommodation handbooks up on the internet that you can look at. You could e-mail someone from the JCR or SU of the college you're applying to - for example a Domestic Affairs rep. Otherwise you could tell us the college/ask in the appropriate college thread and see if you get an answer that way.

ReputationRep:
    Gonville and Caius. ^^

Thanks for the quick responses, all of you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azer)
    Gonville and Caius. ^^

Thanks for the quick responses, all of you!
    Ask in the Gonville and Caius thread in the subforum.

All accommodation is riddled with smoke sensors, so I don't fancy your chances anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    We're allowed to smoke in our rooms.

ReputationRep:
    hard liquor bar? that sounds like an interesting one... considering most (all?) colleges have rules against large gatherings in people's rooms they might have interesting opinions about that one.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    But at the same time many people have large amounts of alcohol in their rooms.

ReputationRep:
    I have most of First Class Tea's stock in my room :ninja:

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.