The Student Room Group

Career advice/motivation/inspiration

Evening all, hoping someone can lift my mood and offer some advice.

A few years ago I was in my late 20s and at a point in my life where I had been in and out of different jobs not really getting anywhere in life, working 50-60 hour weeks to get a decent wage. I had a look into doing a degree to give myself better prospects and ended up getting accepted, I graduated last summer with a degree in forestry, and shocked myself by getting a 1st.

I have had absolutely zero luck with graduate employment since. It's done the complete opposite and I now feel in a worse off position than before going to uni. Currently I'm delivery driving for Amazon, which isn't the worst job I've had but certainly doesn't give me any prospects.

I've had plenty of appointments with the careers department from my uni, and have got my CV to a point where they feel it is fine, and covering letters are apparently all good. I'm struggling to get into forestry, even to the point of having 3 interviews with the same company over the past 6/7 months. I've been applying for other jobs which look like they'd turn into a decent career but barely hear back from anything.

Has anyone got any advice at all for other careers I could look into? It's getting to the point of feeling like it was all a waste, this is the lowest I have felt in such a long time. I wish I did computer science or something which would have given a more varied selection of jobs.
Reply 1
Original post by tomt88

A few years ago I was in my late 20s and at a point in my life where I had been in and out of different jobs not really getting anywhere in life, working 50-60 hour weeks to get a decent wage. I had a look into doing a degree to give myself better prospects and ended up getting accepted, I graduated last summer with a degree in forestry, and shocked myself by getting a 1st.

I have had absolutely zero luck with graduate employment since. It's done the complete opposite and I now feel in a worse off position than before going to uni. Currently I'm delivery driving for Amazon, which isn't the worst job I've had but certainly doesn't give me any prospects.

I've had plenty of appointments with the careers department from my uni, and have got my CV to a point where they feel it is fine, and covering letters are apparently all good. I'm struggling to get into forestry, even to the point of having 3 interviews with the same company over the past 6/7 months. I've been applying for other jobs which look like they'd turn into a decent career but barely hear back from anything.

Has anyone got any advice at all for other careers I could look into? It's getting to the point of feeling like it was all a waste, this is the lowest I have felt in such a long time. I wish I did computer science or something which would have given a more varied selection of jobs.

Hey! so I have some advice, you can either look for more jobs in the forestry area, or for an alternate you can maybe look for coding boot camps online which will really help since it has helped me because I am looking forward to pursuing a career in tech.
Reply 2
Original post by qwrsten
Hey! so I have some advice, you can either look for more jobs in the forestry area, or for an alternate you can maybe look for coding boot camps online which will really help since it has helped me because I am looking forward to pursuing a career in tech.

Thanks, I've tried everything to do with forestry, but the comp course is a good idea. GIS is the route I'd go down tech wise so have been applying for those roles too.
Reply 3
Have you looked at the forestry jobs available with the Civil Service? They seem pretty interesting.
Reply 4
Original post by etwelve
Have you looked at the forestry jobs available with the Civil Service? They seem pretty interesting.

I have, I'd love that route. Even had a friend who works in the civil service give advice with the applications but haven't had any luck with them.
Reply 5
I wouldn't give up and three interviews is better than none, perhaps you can find somewhere to plant some trees as you're clearly passionate about the subject and then see how you feel applying after that
Original post by tomt88

Three interviews in 6/7 months is pretty good for a niche role. Have you tried to broaden the range of roles you apply for such that you could move towards more core forestry roles after a few years? For example estate management roles, council parks and gardens, countryside wardens, rural conservation charities etc. They might well value a forestry qualification, while not having that as the core of the role, but whatever else you've been doing could be leveraged.
Reply 7
Original post by Ireplied
I wouldn't give up and three interviews is better than none, perhaps you can find somewhere to plant some trees as you're clearly passionate about the subject and then see how you feel applying after that

You have a really good point, maybe not planting specifically but more the labour side of it. It would certainly help and I will look into it, thanks :biggrin:

Original post by threeportdrift
Three interviews in 6/7 months is pretty good for a niche role. Have you tried to broaden the range of roles you apply for such that you could move towards more core forestry roles after a few years? For example estate management roles, council parks and gardens, countryside wardens, rural conservation charities etc. They might well value a forestry qualification, while not having that as the core of the role, but whatever else you've been doing could be leveraged.

It has been more than 3 interviews, it's just I had 3 with the same company, for different roles. I wasn't even going to apply for the third role, after not getting twice, but they emailed me and advised to apply for it. I have been looking at national trust roles, which is similar to some of the things you list, but haven't had any luck. Estates could be a good bet though, I'm going to look into it, thankyou.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending