VVV_
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm currently planning to begin Maths, Physics and Furthermaths in September. However my college is forcing me to either take the Advanced Welsh Bacc as my 4th A level or a choose a different subject to take as a 4th. Even though I'd prefer to only do the 3 as it seems like less stress and I could just focus on getting 3 A* and doing stuff outside of school.

Providing the next 2 years go well I'd like to apply to either Oxbridge or Russel Group Universities. So would I be better served choosing Welsh Bacc (as I assume it'll be less effort than another enabling subject like Comp Science, or if I'm lucky they won't even consider it in a offer) or actually choosing a 4th enabling subject as it'll require a similar amount of effort and not really respected by Universities.

In an ideal world I'd have liked to take Chemistry as a 4th A level but due to being homeschooled due to ill health throughout my GCSES (quite a few years ago as I'm currently 20) I was only able to choose 1 science to be taught so I don't have the required prerequisite GCSE.
I also already have a D*D* BTEC in sport but as far as I'm aware top UNI's don't really care about that.
McGinger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Bristol allows you to use your Welsh Bac grade as a substitute grade for any non-specific subject - so this can give you much more flexibility. You might even decide to drop an A level and rely on 2 A levels plus WB - Welsh Baccalaureate : Requirements are as for A-levels, where you can substitute a non-subject specific grade for the Welsh Baccalaureate Advanced Skills Challenge Certificate at that grade.

Other Unis may be different, but this is worth exploring.

What subject are you looking at for Uni?
VVV_
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by McGinger)
Bristol allows you to use your Welsh Bac grade as a substitute grade for any non-specific subject - so this can give you much more flexibility. You might even decide to drop an A level and rely on 2 A levels plus WB - Welsh Baccalaureate : Requirements are as for A-levels, where you can substitute a non-subject specific grade for the Welsh Baccalaureate Advanced Skills Challenge Certificate at that grade.

Other Unis may be different, but this is worth exploring.

What subject are you looking at for Uni?
Either Computer Science, Maths or Physics. Heavily leaning towards Comp-Sci though.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Most unis in England will probably consider the Welsh Bacc in the same vein as general studies/critical thinking/an EPQ i.e.something that is fine for students to take as a fourth option but would probably not form part of an offer. However it might be considered when making offers holistically.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The Welsh Bac is heavily pushed in Wales. Most schools insist on people taking it under pressure from the Welsh Government. Its benefits are very questionable. Whilst all Welsh universities accept it some English universities dont. As an example Bristol and Exeter accept it as an A level but Bath treats it as an AS and makes offers 1 grade below. From memory most London universities, Oxbridge, Durham and Warwick dont accept it but the likes of Manchester, Liverpool, Bristol and Exeter do. I attach below an article outlining what used to be the case but this may have changed.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/e...welsh-13628047
McGinger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by VVV_)
Either Computer Science, Maths or Physics. Heavily leaning towards Comp-Sci though.
Its worth posting a question on the Comp Sci board - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=52 - about which Unis require which subjects etc, and therefore if it makes more sense to focus on just Maths, FM and Physics.

My advice is always to stick to 3 A levels and not attempt 4 - you risk weaker grades across all subjects for no advantage - because yes, AAA will always look better than ABBB.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
5.71%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (7)
20%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (4)
11.43%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (3)
8.57%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (11)
31.43%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (8)
22.86%

Watched Threads