The Student Room Group

Paying council tax?

Recently moved to a new town about a month ago as a young professional. I have never had to pay any council tax before - not sure how this completely works.
I'm currently renting for 6 months at a student accommodation who also allows professionals to live there.
Do I have to register for the council tax online?
and will I have to pay for the full year tax as i'm only in this town for half the year?
I'm a bit afraid if the council tax is going to be expensive as my salary is not that great yet. I believe everyone else in my flat may be students so it will primarily fall on me.

Any help appreciated with my questions thanks!
Original post by ARA1659
Recently moved to a new town about a month ago as a young professional. I have never had to pay any council tax before - not sure how this completely works.
I'm currently renting for 6 months at a student accommodation who also allows professionals to live there.
Do I have to register for the council tax online?
and will I have to pay for the full year tax as i'm only in this town for half the year?
I'm a bit afraid if the council tax is going to be expensive as my salary is not that great yet. I believe everyone else in my flat may be students so it will primarily fall on me.

Any help appreciated with my questions thanks!

Hello there :smile:

I would recommend you to talk to your landlord. If everyone living in the flat is a full student time then you should be exempt. You can read more about ir here -> https://www.gov.uk/council-tax/discounts-for-full-time-students

But if there is someone in your household who’s not a full-time student then you will have to pay council tax but you can qualify for a discount. The amount of money you will pay depends on the band. So each area is different

I hope that helps.
Best wishes
Andrea
You will need to pay but there should be a discount for being the only qualifying person. You also will only have to pay for the months you are there but you need to communicate your arrival and departure to the council - don't rely on the landlord to do that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending