dangerbby
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Basically I am half way through my med degree and it's not what I thought it'd be. I had second thoughts since 1st year but thought it was normal as I was adjusting and stuff but every year since then I hated it more and more and I'm not sure I will actually want to work in the field after graduation. Anyways I'm not quitting or anything as I've worked way too hard to just give up with nothing to show for it so I will finish the next 2 years to get a degree even if I don't use it. However I was thinking of doing a distance learning degree part-time to have as a backup if I do decide not to practice medicine in the future. Do you think it's a good idea? I know it won't be easy but in the future I think it'll be comforting to know I have something to fall back on. What you all think? Anyone done anything similar?
Ausickz
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Medicine is a degrer that will honor you for life, the hardwork you put in will allow you deal with many situations in life. Id say gut it out for 2 mroe years and see if you enjoy helping others if not then take a vacation and do a masters in business or something similar as the cists of another ug would be self paid.
McGinger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by dangerbby)
Basically I am half way through my med degree and it's not what I thought it'd be. I had second thoughts since 1st year but thought it was normal as I was adjusting and stuff but every year since then I hated it more and more and I'm not sure I will actually want to work in the field after graduation. Anyways I'm not quitting or anything as I've worked way too hard to just give up with nothing to show for it so I will finish the next 2 years to get a degree even if I don't use it. However I was thinking of doing a distance learning degree part-time to have as a backup if I do decide not to practice medicine in the future. Do you think it's a good idea? I know it won't be easy but in the future I think it'll be comforting to know I have something to fall back on. What you all think? Anyone done anything similar?
Go and talk to your personal tutor about switching to a Biomed or Biochem degree - or find out about switching a totally different subject at the same Uni - Law, Engineering, Social Science, whatever.

Its pointless just ploughing on with a Med degree if your heart is no longer in it - switch to something you will actually *enjoy* doing.
Nobody2u
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The vast majority of students don't actually go into careers directly linked to their degrees, so at the end of your degree there is nothing to stop you changing direction even if it's rare for a Medical student to do so. The last 18 months have been hard on everyone and maybe this is partly responsible for your change in attitude, but if you are really 100% sure that you have made a mistake, do as McGinger says ( in fact even if you're not 100% sure) and speak to your tutor. They may be able to help you understand why you're feeling the way you are, and either re-motivate you or suggest an alternative course of study.
dangerbby
Rep:
?
Thanks guys. I've already tried speaking to my tutor about it and he said it's up to me. If I'm serious about being a doc I should carry on and if I'm not sure about it anymore to drop out. But to me that's too drastic and everything I've done up to this point would've been a waste. That's why I want to finish it to get a degree but not sure if doing a part time different bachelor degree is okay. That way i finish med school but can work in a different field after.
McGinger
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks guys. I've already tried speaking to my tutor about it and he said it's up to me. If I'm serious about being a doc I should carry on and if I'm not sure about it anymore to drop out. But to me that's too drastic and everything I've done up to this point would've been a waste. That's why I want to finish it to get a degree but not sure if doing a part time different bachelor degree is okay. That way i finish med school but can work in a different field
A waste? Really - or are you just worried about loosing face?
dangerbby
Rep:
?
Both. Everyone that knows me expects me to be a doctor cuz that's what I've been wanting to do as a kid. And now even though i hate it no one knows and i don't want to disappoint anyone.
McGinger
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Both. Everyone that knows me expects me to be a doctor cuz that's what I've been wanting to do as a kid. And now even though i hate it no one knows and i don't want to disappoint anyone.
Life isn't abut 'pleasing other people'.
You tried it - you don't enjoy it.
There is no shame in that - if anything that decision shows maturity, common sense and courage.

'I've decided that I'd rather do Medical research"
"I'm switching to Law"
"I no longer want to be a doctor"
Ella Werner
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Basically I am half way through my med degree and it's not what I thought it'd be. I had second thoughts since 1st year but thought it was normal as I was adjusting and stuff but every year since then I hated it more and more and I'm not sure I will actually want to work in the field after graduation. Anyways I'm not quitting or anything as I've worked way too hard to just give up with nothing to show for it so I will finish the next 2 years to get a degree even if I don't use it. However I was thinking of doing a distance learning degree part-time to have as a backup if I do decide not to practice medicine in the future. Do you think it's a good idea? I know it won't be easy but in the future I think it'll be comforting to know I have something to fall back on. What you all think? Anyone done anything simi
I would say it is highly manageable to get another degree on top of the medical one. Just get your medical degree then follow your heart and get another one that you love most. Trust me you will not regret. Go for it.
becausethenight
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I do not think a distance learning degree, on top of clincial years, is at all a good idea. It's not necessary and it's almost certainly very hard work. If you want to do another degree, drop out and enrol on another degree, or intercalate.

But, you can always drop out now and get a BMedSci, or continue and finish your degree but not practice as a doctor - have you talked to the careers service at your uni about alternative careers? Equally, without dismissing you, plenty of people dislike med school or preclinical and go on to enjoy work or clinical medicine - could that be you?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
3.39%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (8)
13.56%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (8)
13.56%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (7)
11.86%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (24)
40.68%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (10)
16.95%

Watched Threads