Lonely and MH stigma

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Was crying earlier because I feel so lonely. I have no one to talk to about my MH. I feel ashamed and embarrassed and alone that I can't talk to anyone without them thinking I am a freak. I work with a diabetic and every one is so supportive of her. But I have a MH problem with a lot of stigma attached and so have to remain alone. I hate having to hide such a big part of my life from everyone.
ecoleaf
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Was crying earlier because I feel so lonely. I have no one to talk to about my MH. I feel ashamed and embarrassed and alone that I can't talk to anyone without them thinking I am a freak. I work with a diabetic and every one is so supportive of her. But I have a MH problem with a lot of stigma attached and so have to remain alone. I hate having to hide such a big part of my life from everyone.
Maybe you could try one of those online counsellers/therapists if you cant talk to anyone irl? Hope you're feeling better X
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi OP,

Really sorry you are struggling and feeling so isolated It's no substitute for professional support (if needed) but here on TSR, we have a Mental Health Support Society thread where others can vent (either anonymously or under their username) and get peer support if needed: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6800230 . Why not check it out and see if it's for you?
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by ecoleaf)
Maybe you could try one of those online counsellers/therapists if you cant talk to anyone irl? Hope you're feeling better X
I wish I had people in person who I could talk to.

I used to know this one girl who had PTSD and, I don't mean to sound angsty, but everyone was always there to offer her support. If I need support I have to hide it because I am very scared of the stigma. I would just love to have anyone to talk to.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
I'm sorry things have been hard for you, I hope they get better 😔. I've also been through something similar before (I was in a bad place of mental health for years, but I was afraid to seek help due to the stigma). I think the only way I personally overcame it and seemed help was to think 'I either have 2 options:I can stay feeling like this for the foreseeable future/rest of my life, or I can take a chance on getting help, even if it means people judge me. Also, getting help could cure me so I never have to feel this was again, but I will never know unless I try'. So yeah, for me it was to pick the lesser of 2 evils (stay how I felt or risked getting judge).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
6.47%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (32)
15.92%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (33)
16.42%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (30)
14.93%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (55)
27.36%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (38)
18.91%

Watched Threads