Career Men/Women, why on earth are you not willing to create a family?

Watch
tierny3
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I always hear that men and women esp those in the City choose not to have a family so they can advance in their career. Don't they understand that having a family is probably the greatest thing a human can do? You're creating a new generation and have a significant say in how that person you create becomes in their life (everyone's problems can be linked to their childhood).

If you want to be selfish, you could even argue that having children is a hedge on your pension as they'll look after you when you're old and frail.
Ghostface6001
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by tierny3)
I always hear that men and women esp those in the City choose not to have a family so they can advance in their career. Don't they understand that having a family is probably the greatest thing a human can do? You're creating a new generation and have a significant say in how that person you create becomes in their life (everyone's problems can be linked to their childhood).

If you want to be selfish, you could even argue that having children is a hedge on your pension as they'll look after you when you're old and frail.
1000000% agree, most ppl want stability to, but some people get greedy and chase money rather than having a family
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

selfish would be bringing a kid into this horrible world.
TheMcSame
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
People value different things in life.

You might value it, others might not see the appeal of having a poor defenceless baby/toddler that'll be nothing but a pain for the first few years, keeping you up all the time, not having time to do your own thing because you either need to take the kid with you or get someone to look after them and is a money sink for AT LEAST 18 years.

I mean... You always hear parents complaining about kids, especially babies, and how bad it is with all the restless nights, stress, kids ruining things, etc

Could do with a bit more money and want to do overtime at work? Better hope little Timmy is being looked after, otherwise, you're going to have to make do.
Last edited by TheMcSame; 1 month ago
tierny3
Rep:
?
(Original post by A Rolling Stone)
selfish would be bringing a kid into this horrible world.
Boooo
tierny3
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheMcSame)
People value different things in life.

You might value it, others might not see the appeal of having a poor defenceless baby/toddler that'll be nothing but a pain for the first few years, keeping you up all the time, not having time to do your own thing because you either need to take the kid with you or get someone to look after them and is a money sink for AT LEAST 18 years.

I mean... You always hear parents complaining about kids, especially babies, and how bad it is with all the restless nights, stress, kids ruining things, etc

Could do with a bit more money and want to do overtime at work? Better hope little Timmy is being looked after, otherwise, you're going to have to make do.
Short term happiness is killing my people
Ghostface6001
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Boooo
Tbh the next gen will be ****ed, u got ppl like lil nas x as ur kids roles models🤦🏽*♂️, but if u raise ur kids right it’s ok
tierny3
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ghostface6001)
Tbh the next gen will be ****ed, u got ppl like lil nas x as ur kids roles models🤦🏽*♂️, but if u raise ur kids right it’s ok
hes killing it in the marketing world, my kid could become CMO of gymshark
Ghostface6001
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
hes killing it in the marketing world, my kid could become CMO of gymshark
Why lie tho man the next gen will be messed, I genuinely feel sorry for the kids of the next gen, have u seen lil nas new video 🤮 not even that look at rappers like cardi smh
School'sPunchBag
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Sigh.

Tierny3, you have to understand that having a family and children aren't what makes everyone happy. Just because they make you, and other people happy, does not mean that everyone else does and should feel the same way about having a family. Having a family is NOT the greatest thing a human can do. People saved endangered species, make solar-powered technology, stopped crime rings, and put a man on the moon. Greatness doesn't end at reproducing. Matter of fact, there are many people who have families just to abuse and control them, so clearly having a family isn't always a radical thing. It's true that having a baby would lead to a new generation, but not everyone has to participate, especially if they know they wouldn't be good parents.

You wanna know what's truly selfish? Shoving your nosy nose into random people's business and calling them stupid for not wanting to have a theoretical baby just because YOU think that's what they have to do. Just because that's what YOU want them to do. Not listening to their opinion about their OWN life, and not respecting their personal choices just because you just HAVE to shove the idea of having a baby and starting a family down EVERYONE'S throats.

THAT'S selfish.
Last edited by School'sPunchBag; 1 month ago
foobar123
Report 1 month ago
Would you instead prefer those who would opt-out reluctanty raise a child?

What about those who are sure they'd not make a good parent to a child?
Last edited by foobar123; 1 month ago
SlaveofAll
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by School'sPunchBag)
Sigh.

Tierny3, you have to understand that having a family and children aren't what makes everyone happy. Just because they make you, and other people happy, does not mean that everyone else does and should feel the same way about having a family. Having a family is NOT the greatest thing a human can do. People saved endangered species, make solar-powered technology, stopped crime rings, and put a man on the moon. Greatness doesn't end at reproducing. Matter of fact, there are many people who have families just to abuse and control them, so clearly having a family isn't always a radical thing. It's true that having a baby would lead to a new generation, but not everyone has to participate, especially if they know they wouldn't be good parents.

You wanna know what's truly selfish? Shoving your nosy nose into random people's business and calling them stupid for not wanting to have a theoretical baby just because YOU think that's what they have to do. Just because that's what YOU want them to do. Not listening to their opinion about their OWN life, and not respecting their personal choices just because you just HAVE to shove the idea of having a baby and starting a family down EVERYONE'S throats.

THAT'S selfish.
I concur. Also, whatever offspring one brings into the world will risk experiencing misery and living a life no better than that of a slave.
LeoKisia
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It depends with one's definition of family. Many men are willing to have children early and raise them but not in the context of marriage. Divorce outcomes often ruin a man emotionally and financially, so they are not willing to risk marrying, just for the sake of family. I am a man, so I cannot speak on behalf of women.
64Lightbulbs
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
you shouldn't have children so they will do things for you, you should have children because you want them. many people cannot afford to feed and house a child, let alone take time off/stagnate their career to do so
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (6)
4.41%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (23)
16.91%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (24)
17.65%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (19)
13.97%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (40)
29.41%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (24)
17.65%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise