Why doesn't everyone just marry their first love?

Watch
tierny3
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Something that is absolutely fudged in life is that:

suppose you're 18 and fall for someone properly, like proper first love. It breaks down for one reason or another. A few years go by, you go from girl to girl (vice versa..im a guy) and end up marrying someone. Most marriages dont have the same love as you had for your first love and you probably dont love your spouse as much as your first love to the extent that if your first love every came back, theoretically, you'd drop everything for them. Isn't that unfair to your spouse?
Satori Tendō
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Speak for yourself
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by tierny3)
Something that is absolutely fudged in life is that:

suppose you're 18 and fall for someone properly, like proper first love. It breaks down for one reason or another. A few years go by, you go from girl to girl (vice versa..im a guy) and end up marrying someone. Most marriages dont have the same love as you had for your first love and you probably dont love your spouse as much as your first love to the extent that if your first love every came back, theoretically, you'd drop everything for them. Isn't that unfair to your spouse?
Ofc they don't, but you build on your marriage. Besides, no-one really gets over their first love. And I guess, love is a two way street, they gotta love you back.
tierny3
Rep:
?
(Original post by Satori Tendō)
Speak for yourself
im not married but ouch
tierny3
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
Ofc they don't, but you build on your marriage. Besides, no-one really gets over their first love. And I guess, love is a two way street, they gotta love you back.
Yup I agree. I can't imagine loving my future wife as much but I may be pleasantly surprised!
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have, don't even give her a thought now and when I do I feel nothing, so I don't think that's a universal fact.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ROTL94)
I have, don't even give her a thought now and when I do I feel nothing, so I don't think that's a universal fact.
Yep, same
tierny3
Rep:
?
how long has it been
ROTL94
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
how long has it been
8 years since we split, after a 4 year long relationship.
tierny3
Rep:
?
8 years since we split, after a 4 year long relationship.
have you been in a relationship ever since? did that help?
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Well first implies there will be others, why waste the time and money if you know youll have 2nd and 3rd loves down the track?

Nevermind not all people want to get married...?

Or, lastly, not all people are stupid enough to marry their first girlfriend from highschool. Marriage, supposedly at least, is meant to be a big commitment, not some flippant irrelevance anyone does for the hell of it - even if it is heading tat way.
tierny3
Rep:
?
(Original post by Napp)
Well first implies there will be others, why waste the time and money if you know youll have 2nd and 3rd loves down the track?

Nevermind not all people want to get married...?

Or, lastly, not all people are stupid enough to marry their first girlfriend from highschool. Marriage, supposedly at least, is meant to be a big commitment, not some flippant irrelevance anyone does for the hell of it - even if it is heading tat way.
I dont mean marry straight away...I mean when you get married ultimately get married to them
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Says who..?
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I agree that I'm unlikely to ever love anyone again the way I did my "first love". That said, my "first love" was already married to someone else when I met her, didn't treat me well, and didn't feel the same way about me the way I did her! So not loving someone the way I did her, can only be a good thing for me, tbh. I don't particularly want to repeat that experience!
ROTL94
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
have you been in a relationship ever since? did that help?
I have yeah, been in a couple of long term relationships since. I'd be f'n miserable now if I married my teenage girlfirend, I know that for a fact.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have yeah, been in a couple of long term relationships since. I'd be f'n miserable now if I married my teenage girlfirend, I know that for a fact.
I'd probably be dead, mine drove me to drink at the best of times
tierny3
Rep:
?
My point isnt to marry straight away, that would be difficult.

Stevie G shouldn't of have stayed at Liverpool his whole life, he should of have left after 2005, went to Chelsea/RM etc etc, realised Liverpool was his true love and came back in 2014 to win the league (and hopefully wouldn't slip).
ROTL94
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by gjd800)
I'd probably be dead, mine drove me to drink at the best of times
Yeah, know the feeling, toward the end she was getting involved in all kinds of dodgy things that I didn't apporve of and wanted no part in like hard drugs e.g. speed. So I'd probably be visiting her in prison or in mourning of her loss if she OD'd.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My point isnt to marry straight away, that would be difficult.

Stevie G shouldn't of have stayed at Liverpool his whole life, he should of have left after 2005, went to Chelsea/RM etc etc, realised Liverpool was his true love and came back in 2014 to win the league (and hopefully wouldn't slip).
haha

we wouldn't have had him back if he went, especially to that lot at the bridge
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
I agree that I'm unlikely to ever love anyone again the way I did my "first love". That said, my "first love" was already married to someone else when I met her, didn't treat me well, and didn't feel the same way about me the way I did her! So not loving someone the way I did her, can only be a good thing for me, tbh. I don't particularly want to repeat that experience!
As in this was an affair or?!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.38%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
15.16%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (44)
18.03%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.34%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (63)
25.82%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.26%

Watched Threads