Help- idk what to choose ; 6form grammar OR college !

Watch
Ghostface6001
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Does anyone recommend I go to a grammar sixth form rather than a college?
I have a list of pros and cons and I need some help
Ps I want to get into medicine and do a level bio chem psychology

Pros of a college- (Solihullsfc)
More relaxed (I think)
Less stress (I think)
Can work at ur own space
More free time
It is like 5 mins away (drive) from my house which is very very convenient as my previous school was 30 mins drive and 1 n a half hours on a bus (it was so stressful and long) had to wake up at 6:30 but with college I could wake up at 8 but it is doable

Cons of a college-
I think I’d get distracted
Can fall behind and teachers won’t push/ get on to my case about it (I think)
It has a 78% A*-C at A level (which isn’t that good?) (2020 results)
It barely has any students previously gone to oxbridge or into med or dentistry
The students mess about more and are less focused
(If I’m wrong feel free to correct me)

Pros of a sixth form grammar- (bishop veseys grammar)
Has prestige
Has a good teaching record apparently
Amazing results- 76.74% A*-B (2019)
78.49% A*-B for biology | 70.33% A*-B for chemistry | 83.87% A*-B for psychology (all 2020 results) and these are the a levels I plan to do (bare in mind the students are very intelligent to)
Amazing range of extra curricular
Many students have gotten into competitive courses and oxbridge
Has a good structure (frees used to revise)
Teachers Will be applying pressure if I fall behind (I think)
Has good motivated intelligent students that aim high (they require 6 A*s)
Will be surrounded around good, intellectual peers

Cons of a sixth form grammar-
I think, teachers make you rely on ur own studying a lot (not to sure)
Mainly the distance- 26 min drive from my house (I’ll probably drive in March of year 12)
My parents will drop me some times But if not then it’s gonna be 55 min bus journey and tbh the area it’s in is bad so the buses will be quite dangerous full of wannabes

So any advice on which option I should take? Ps, I’d like the college timetable as I’d be more independent and have less stress and it’ll be more fun however, I feel like I’d fall behind and no one will care to help me get on track, sometimes I can be abit lazy.
gapb
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ghostface6001)
Does anyone recommend I go to a grammar sixth form rather than a college?
I have a list of pros and cons and I need some help
Ps I want to get into medicine and do a level bio chem psychology

Pros of a college- (Solihullsfc)
More relaxed (I think)
Less stress (I think)
Can work at ur own space
More free time
It is like 5 mins away (drive) from my house which is very very convenient as my previous school was 30 mins drive and 1 n a half hours on a bus (it was so stressful and long) had to wake up at 6:30 but with college I could wake up at 8 but it is doable

Cons of a college-
I think I’d get distracted
Can fall behind and teachers won’t push/ get on to my case about it (I think)
It has a 78% A*-C at A level (which isn’t that good?) (2020 results)
It barely has any students previously gone to oxbridge or into med or dentistry
The students mess about more and are less focused
(If I’m wrong feel free to correct me)

Pros of a sixth form grammar- (bishop veseys grammar)
Has prestige
Has a good teaching record apparently
Amazing results- 76.74% A*-B (2019)
78.49% A*-B for biology | 70.33% A*-B for chemistry | 83.87% A*-B for psychology (all 2020 results) and these are the a levels I plan to do (bare in mind the students are very intelligent to)
Amazing range of extra curricular
Many students have gotten into competitive courses and oxbridge
Has a good structure (frees used to revise)
Teachers Will be applying pressure if I fall behind (I think)
Has good motivated intelligent students that aim high (they require 6 A*s)
Will be surrounded around good, intellectual peers

Cons of a sixth form grammar-
I think, teachers make you rely on ur own studying a lot (not to sure)
Mainly the distance- 26 min drive from my house (I’ll probably drive in March of year 12)
My parents will drop me some times But if not then it’s gonna be 55 min bus journey and tbh the area it’s in is bad so the buses will be quite dangerous full of wannabes

So any advice on which option I should take? Ps, I’d like the college timetable as I’d be more independent and have less stress and it’ll be more fun however, I feel like I’d fall behind and no one will care to help me get on track, sometimes I can be abit lazy.
So I have a similar question, just not yet as i’m going into y11. But I’d either want to stay at my school for 6th form or go to college.

I think if you can trust yourself and the people around you to really motivate you to keep on track, college would be a good option. As you do want to go to college, what if you asked your parents/ teachers to help you keep working. Set yourself a goal which you really want to work to. As long as you have the enthusiasm and the effort you will be able to get good grades in college. Also getting into a good friend group might help, where everyone is keep about studying - even if they don’t seem ‘cool’ they will be able to stay on top of the work, and probably help you?.

however if you don’t think you can keep up with it, perhaps 6th form is better, if the distance and area is a problem (are there any other grammar 6th form’s nearby? you may want to stay with your old school i guess and idk it might be to late to apply as well)

plus the journey is quite long to 6th form, however you would be on task for the most. However college is composer so you get more time at home to study.

Also on the basic you went to bishop
veseys for secondary, i’m guessing it was all boys. i go to an all girls. I’ve heard that some students from single sex schools find it harder to stay on track when they suddenly change to coeducational. I’m sure you won’t have that issue. But it is there for some people.

If it came down to me to decide i’d look at:
- grades I would likely get by going there
- ask previous students how they felt about the work and their grades
- if in gcse study periods you actually studied then college is good as you know u can focus and use time well.
- however if u sometimes messed around in your study periods, you may want to rethink.

So in conclusion, if you trust yourself to take the opportunities in college to focus and have fun, and are able to draw that line between them, you would get good grades at college.
However if you have tried and are still unable to keep on task then 6th form may be a better option (regarding your grades).

hope this helped a little.
Ghostface6001
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by gapb)
So I have a similar question, just not yet as i’m going into y11. But I’d either want to stay at my school for 6th form or go to college.

I think if you can trust yourself and the people around you to really motivate you to keep on track, college would be a good option. As you do want to go to college, what if you asked your parents/ teachers to help you keep working. Set yourself a goal which you really want to work to. As long as you have the enthusiasm and the effort you will be able to get good grades in college. Also getting into a good friend group might help, where everyone is keep about studying - even if they don’t seem ‘cool’ they will be able to stay on top of the work, and probably help you?.

however if you don’t think you can keep up with it, perhaps 6th form is better, if the distance and area is a problem (are there any other grammar 6th form’s nearby? you may want to stay with your old school i guess and idk it might be to late to apply as well)

plus the journey is quite long to 6th form, however you would be on task for the most. However college is composer so you get more time at home to study.

Also on the basic you went to bishop
veseys for secondary, i’m guessing it was all boys. i go to an all girls. I’ve heard that some students from single sex schools find it harder to stay on track when they suddenly change to coeducational. I’m sure you won’t have that issue. But it is there for some people.

If it came down to me to decide i’d look at:
- grades I would likely get by going there
- ask previous students how they felt about the work and their grades
- if in gcse study periods you actually studied then college is good as you know u can focus and use time well.
- however if u sometimes messed around in your study periods, you may want to rethink.

So in conclusion, if you trust yourself to take the opportunities in college to focus and have fun, and are able to draw that line between them, you would get good grades at college.
However if you have tried and are still unable to keep on task then 6th form may be a better option (regarding your grades).

hope this helped a little.
Thank you for that, I didn’t go to bishop as secondary, it’s mixed too btw, so that’s not an issue and actually it is the closest grammar to me, I feel like in college I may give up sometimes or feel demotivated as the a levels I’m doing are kinda hard ngl, but sixth form would push me back on track If u get what I mean.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.39%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (29)
16.48%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (29)
16.48%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (24)
13.64%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (48)
27.27%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
18.75%

Watched Threads