Turn on thread page Beta

Ok, So I got my braces removed and am now wearing a retainer (The clear plastic type that slides oevr the teeth) and my orthodontist told me to take it out when eating and drinking.

BUT
    few q's.

can i still suck mints or something like that?
    and what am i supposed to do if im at a party drinking or something, I can't just keep taking the retainer out!
    and also, is it possible to make out with them in, or is it best to take them out for the few hours or whatever.
    will teeth move or be ahrd to get retainer back on after a few hours?

please help

ReputationRep:
    I didn't wear retainers when I went out to party. You can still suck on mints with your retainer on .. but no chewing. Kissing with it on ... well I didn't like going out with it in the first place so I can't help you there. My opinion though - I don't think it's quite hygienic since things tend to get stuck on the retainer in or out of your mouth (in the box). Teeth won't move a lot in a few hours because it takes a large force for them to move in a couple hours You'll be fine without it for hours ...teeth move some but not enough to make it difficult to get the retainer back on.

ReputationRep:
    I would say its fine for you to not wear it for a few hours, think how long it took the teeth to be in the position they are now, and the force the brace had to apply, i would make sure you just wear it in bed every night and any other time its not bad for you to do so.

ReputationRep:
    they always tell you to wear it during the day and hardly anyone does - you'll be fine just wearing it at night.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Ok, So I got my braces removed and am now wearing a retainer (The clear plastic type that slides oevr the teeth) and my orthodontist told me to take it out when eating and drinking.

BUT
    few q's.

can i still suck mints or something like that?
    and what am i supposed to do if im at a party drinking or something, I can't just keep taking the retainer out!
    and also, is it possible to make out with them in, or is it best to take them out for the few hours or whatever.
    will teeth move or be ahrd to get retainer back on after a few hours?

please help
    Well, I only bothered to wear mine on a night (I couldnt talk with it in ) and yeah mints youll be able to, chewy no. Dont wear it if youre going to a party, and its only if you take it off for like a full day then it goes a bit tighter, but as long as you dont leave it off for 2+ days I think youll be able to get it back on.

I was only told to wear mine at night. Not really a big deal to be honest, so you don't have to faff around with it in the day.

ReputationRep:
    I've gone a day or two without putting the retainers back in. A few hours is fine. If you do leave it a day or two, you might find it a bit 'more difficult' to put them back in, sort of thing.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't have to wear mine during the day at all, only at night time! But yeah just treat them like your braces except no kissing with them on, you might choke your partner :p:

ReputationRep:
    i'd agree with most things said, but it depends how bad your teeth were to warrant braces in the first place, if your dentist said wear it in the day, do it as much as possible until your really really sick of it!

you should be fine to drink with it in though!
    my dentist wanted me leave it in while eating which i refused to do but it will be fine while drinking!

ReputationRep:
    I used to wear mine nearly all the time like you've been doing. If I was going to a party or whatever I'd take it out and then put it back in as soon as I got home. At first your teeth will be wanting to move back, but after a while I found I could wear mine just a couple of nights a week and it was fine. I stopped wearing it at all when I was about 18, and if I try to put it in now is kills me! But my teeth are still straight so it's fine

ReputationRep:
    take it out for the party/kissing, it will be a bit tight to get back in but it won't be too bad.
    i wore mine religiouslyy and my teeth haven't moved very much a freind in senior school never wore hers and her teeth are totally mashed up again!

ReputationRep:
    My orthodontist only told me to wear mine at night (they're clear plastic ones too), and two and a half years later my teeth are still fine... I used to find, in the beginning, that during the day my top front teeth would start to get a little gap between them, but that would close when I put my retainer back in at night. It doesn't do it anymore though, and I can get away with only wearing it three or four nights a week now.

So yeah basically what I'm trying to say is you'll be fine not wearing it for a few hours. And yes, you can eat mints while you're wearing it, I do!! =P

ReputationRep:
    You can still suck mints and stuff.
    It'll be fine for a couple of hours, however may feel a bit tight when you put it on again. However, it'll be fine.
    I wear mine all day, and it's a pain taking it out to eat and stuff. However, the orthatdontist did tell me I could eat with it in..but i find that uncomfortable ..

ReputationRep:
    When I had mine, I was told that you had to eat with a retainer, because apparently your teeth move the most whilst eating. I gave up trying to after a while though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahhi)
    You can still suck mints and stuff.
    It'll be fine for a couple of hours, however may feel a bit tight when you put it on again. However, it'll be fine.
    I wear mine all day, and it's a pain taking it out to eat and stuff. However, the orthatdontist did tell me I could eat with it in..but i find that uncomfortable ..
    Hehe the Or That dontist, that sounds funny :p: Sorry I tend to read things exactly as they're written :o:

ReputationRep:
    I'm wearing mine atm, during the day and at night.

But, it's fine to drink with them on and suck on sweets and stuff. (I tried chewing. NOT a good idea.)
    Plus, taking them off for a few hours won't move them, so keep the box handy in case you need to. (Mine's black. )
    For the record, kissing would be more comfortable without.

ReputationRep:
    I was told to wear mine at night, I once only got round to wear it for about 3 hours over 4 days and my teeth were fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redpanda91)
    Hehe the Or That dontist, that sounds funny :p: Sorry I tend to read things exactly as they're written :o:
    haha, oops :p:

ReputationRep:
    I only wear mine at night...It's better that way.

Ok, so if i wear it pretty much all day maybe apart from an hour here and there it will be ok?
    oh and if im at the boyfriends or something, would leaving it out for like 8hours still be ok? I guess i can manage if its just a little tighter, I just don't want to be in a situation where it wont go in!
    also, i only just got them today, is it normal to find it hard getting them out at first?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 21, 2008
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.