Resit student applying to uk medicine but not using resit scores

Watch
sayryry
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm in the middle of a difficulty and I lack information and confidence. I'm gonna make my long story as short as possible. Any advice or tips are welcomed.
I'm a 2020 IB graduate. At Y13, I got a lower than expected PG that I gave up applying for medicine. The score exceeded the official requirements but was low compared to other competent applicants that my uni counsellor discouraged me from applying. I agreed and hence gave up that year thinking if I could boost up my scores at the exams I might be able to reapply the next round. I mean I could apply but chances were obviously too thin and I was insecure about my grades anyway so... Then Covid happened, exams got cancelled, PG came out weird (I'd like to blame it to the algorithm- there was a huge controversy about how it all worked) and I never got the chance to really take a shot at the exams and change the grades. The overall score was the same as my PG but with a little ups and downs in the subjects. I entered a different degree for uni trying to think that this route in life wasn't too bad but I realised that I was never satisfied. I decided to resit because maybe if I succeed I may have a second shot. But ffs doing Y1 of uni and preparing for IB was hard and I failed miserably.
So my current stats are that my resit scores are even lower than my original algorithm-calculated scores. Still, I want to reapply anyway. I've had this dream for too long and it's unfair to me to give up like this, especially when a big contributor for my failure was an uncontrollable factor. I know I probably won't make it, but that doesn't bother me given that'll actually mark a nice closure for me. My plan is to get a great UCAT score to improve my chances and hope for the miracle to happen. The question is, when applyong through UCAS, do the resit scores that I don't want to use (I want to use the old score) affect my application? Am I considered a resit applicant?
Last edited by sayryry; 1 month ago
CatInTheCorner
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sayryry)
I'm in the middle of a difficulty and I lack information and confidence. I'm gonna make my long story as short as possible. Any advice or tips are welcomed.
I'm a 2020 IB graduate. At Y13, I got a lower than expected PG that I gave up applying for medicine. The score exceeded the official requirements but was low compared to other competent applicants that my uni counsellor discouraged me from applying. I agreed and hence gave up that year thinking if I could boost up my scores at the exams I might be able to reapply the next round. I mean I could apply but chances were obviously too thin and I was insecure about my grades anyway so... Then Covid happened, exams got cancelled, PG came out weird (I'd like to blame it to the algorithm- there was a huge controversy about how it all worked) and I never got the chance to really take a shot at the exams and change the grades. The overall score was the same as my PG but with a little ups and downs in the subjects. I entered a different degree for uni trying to think that this route in life wasn't too bad but I realised that I was never satisfied. I decided to resit because maybe if I succeed I may have a second shot. But ffs doing Y1 of uni and preparing for IB was hard and I failed miserably.
So my current stats are that my resit scores are even lower than my original algorithm-calculated scores. Still, I want to reapply anyway. I've had this dream for too long and it's unfair to me to give up like this, especially when a big contributor for my failure was an uncontrollable factor. I know I probably won't make it, but that doesn't bother me given that'll actually mark a nice closure for me. My plan is to get a great UCAT score to improve my chances and hope for the miracle to happen. The question is, when applyong through UCAS, do the resit scores that I don't want to use (I want to use the old score) affect my application? Am I considered a resit applicant?
that's quite complicated. becausethenight will know more, but I would contact individual unis
becausethenight
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sayryry)
I think you will need to get in touch with unis - I have no idea how you would be considered as I assume you resat in summer (if it was in autumn you get the best of the two grades)

Ultimately as long as the grades you have meet the requirements that's something?

If you have already started one year of uni, would you want to continue through then seek to apply as a grad with a 1st or 2.1...?

GANFYD or TCL may be able to give more helpful advice!
GANFYD
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by becausethenight)
I think you will need to get in touch with unis - I have no idea how you would be considered as I assume you resat in summer (if it was in autumn you get the best of the two grades)

Ultimately as long as the grades you have meet the requirements that's something?

If you have already started one year of uni, would you want to continue through then seek to apply as a grad with a 1st or 2.1...?

GANFYD or TCL may be able to give more helpful advice!
If you got the required grades at the first sitting, then they will not look at any "resits", I suspect. Their requirements, even for the strictest med schools, will need to be obtained after 2 years of study, so if you have made that, then I do not think what happened after that will matter
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (363)
84.22%
No (68)
15.78%

Watched Threads