The Student Room Group

Barclays rewards credit card

Since turning 18 , i want to get my own credit card , to collect point and increase my credit card score and stuff , for buying a house in the future and etcetera.

I looked at their Barclays reward credit card and if anyone has it or knows more about it , i need advice for is it good or not , as i dont know much about credit cards. And since it's a reward one , is it going to affect my credit card score compared to getting a normal one ?
A credit score for the most part is an marketing gimmick to sell you things. We don’t have credit scores that are big drivers like America do.

What is important is your credit history & report. How much debt/credit you have and that you pay it back on time.

Things to help include good standing accounts & begin on the electoral roll, having utility bills or a phone contract too

I’d imagine being 18 you may have no credit history so personally I’d be looking either the bank you are with & running an eligibility checker first with them

If you are a student a few banks offer student credit cards

Or failing that looking at credit builder cards (designed for those with poor or no credit history) like Barclaycard forward, Aqua, Vanquis, capital one - just beware they have large rates

But after a year or so with one of those you should have stronger history to get a better card

Cashback/reward cards are usually the most trickier to get without any history

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending