Private (Public) School or a good State School?

Watch
ecoleaf
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’d quite like to apply for Pure Economics Cambridge after sixth form, but I’ve heard quite a lot about how colleges are embarrassed about how many private/ school fee paying applicants there are. Would it increase my chances/give me an extra edge to go to my local state sixth form rather than continuing at my private/fee paying school? I’m in Y11 btw, on track for all 9s/8s.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
LowBlowChloe
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by economistgirl)
I’d quite like to apply for Pure Economics Cambridge after sixth form, but I’ve heard quite a lot about how colleges are embarrassed about how many private/ school fee paying applicants there are. Would it increase my chances/give me an extra edge to go to my local state sixth form rather than continuing at my private/fee paying school? I’m in Y11 btw, on track for all 9s/8s.
Trust me that a state sixth form isn't going to give you an advantage over a fee school. The idea that going to a private school is now a disadvantage is mostly a rumour being spread by those worried about state educated kids being given opportunities that they didn't have before.
Typhoons
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
They do look how you perform in relation to your others at your school. So if you go a school where a high proportion get 4A* it may be hard to stand out , but someone going a school where 3A * is out of the ordinary would look better. There some some very high performing state schools and some average private schools, so the fee paying status itself doesn’t matter much.
Little pecker
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by LowBlowChloe)
Trust me that a state sixth form isn't going to give you an advantage over a fee school. The idea that going to a private school is now a disadvantage is mostly a rumour being spread by those worried about state educated kids being given opportunities that they didn't have before.
What is this exactly based on, doesn't it literally make a difference on your application?
strawberrygemini
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
a fee-paying school is still better- the reason it is talked about lot about now is that universities are trying hard to increase the number of state school kids, so are trying to close the gap in numbers between the 2. but private schools kids are still so much more likely to get in- just a little but less likely than they were 10 years ago.
LowBlowChloe
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Little pecker)
What is this exactly based on, doesn't it literally make a difference on your application?
At top universities private school students are still disproportionately represented (7% of all students are privately educated whereas Oxford and Cambridge are about 35% private, with other Russel groups being similar). This suggests that by attending a private school you're boosting your odds, likely from better grades, better admissions advice, interview preparation etc.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ecoleaf)
No. Go the the school that you wish to attend, that is all.
The grades at A Level are much more important than where the qualifications were achieved.
It is the case that colleges can see on your UCAS form which school you attend, and that provides some context to them on how well you are doing in comparison to a typical performance from that school. However, that doesn't disadvantage any applicant who is attending a school with a track record of high results (regardless of fee paying or not) as if you're good enough, you're good enough.
(Original post by Little pecker)
Nope. See above.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
2.74%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
15.07%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (12)
16.44%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (8)
10.96%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (28)
38.36%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (12)
16.44%

Watched Threads