AngelsGame03
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello all,
I am going to be studying modern languages at Oxford next year and have a question in regards to supplies.
I plan on going to buy textbooks and whatnot soon but don't know what I need.
What would you suggest?
ps: I'll be studying two languages, one of which is a beginner's course.
thanks!
littlealexhorne
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm also studying modern languages next year and I was sent a reading list by my college (Keble) a couple of months ago - no idea when other colleges will send out theirs. I was given very specific editions of each book to get so I wouldn't buy anything until you're told what you need.
AngelsGame03
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by littlealexhorne)
I'm also studying modern languages next year and I was sent a reading list by my college (Keble) a couple of months ago - no idea when other colleges will send out theirs. I was given very specific editions of each book to get so I wouldn't buy anything until you're told what you need.
Sorry, I must not have explained myself properly, I also received the reading list but I'm wondering how many notebooks etc I should buy. Will I need folders for instance and if so how many...
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Really depends on how you organise yourself and use those materials - some people might just keep all their notes in one place, others may have them subdivided into innumerable folders!

At minimum you will probably want to divide your notes and so on between the two languages, so likely you'd want to have a notebook and folder for each minimally. It may be practical to divide things based on the papers you are taking, but you may find that some "overlap" a bit and you don't need a separate set of notebooks/folders for each, which will probably not be apparent until you start.

Ultimately there will be plenty of places you can pick up stationery in Oxford so there isn't any particular rush to try and overload on that now. Better to just get the minimal things you know you'll need (e.g. some paper source and writing implements) and then work out what else you need/want when you get there.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.39%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (29)
16.48%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (29)
16.48%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (24)
13.64%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (48)
27.27%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
18.75%

Watched Threads