sajid20000
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
if a ball is tied within a box using two ropes and the box is released from the top of an inclined plane; if we want to calculate acceleration of the box do we have to take the mass of the system as total mass of box and ball or only the mass of box? Please help..
foxx123
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
is this a gcse or a level standard question?
sajid20000
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
a level standard
Stonebridge
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sajid20000)
if a ball is tied within a box using two ropes and the box is released from the top of an inclined plane; if we want to calculate acceleration of the box do we have to take the mass of the system as total mass of box and ball or only the mass of box? Please help..
It would help if you supplied the whole question so we have some context here.
But as a general rule, you would have to take the mass of the whole system into account. It doesn't matter how the ball is 'attached' - its weight still acts inside the box.

It's a bit like the old problem of the weight of a van with a bird flying round in the back.
The weight of the bird acts on the van whether it is flying or perched.
But without the whole question there may be something else that needed to be taken into account.
Gene Y Dho
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sajid20000)
Box accel and Total accel are same value.
(mass of rope is negligible)
Box mass*g*sin θ - ( box mass*g*cosθ*coefficient of friction plus other resistance force) = box mass*box accel

Here are the other examples calculation way of ball accel and Total accel

Total mass*g sin θ - (Total mass*gcos θ* coefficient of friction plus other resistance force(s))= Total mass*total accel

ball mass*g*sinθ - (tension plus other resistance force(s)) = Ball mass*ball accel.
Last edited by Gene Y Dho; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (3)
7.32%
I need help researching courses (3)
7.32%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
7.32%
I need help with my personal statement (20)
48.78%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (9)
21.95%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (1)
2.44%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (2)
4.88%

Watched Threads