The Student Room Group

Non Binary People

Be respectful, please tell me what your thoughts are? In return, I'll tell you my thoughts.

Scroll to see replies

Well this is going to be a dumpster fire.

I really don't care what people want to identify as, not really my business.
Original post by DiddyDec
Well this is going to be a dumpster fire.

I really don't care what people want to identify as, not really my business.

Why? Is that TSR in general or the internet in general?
Original post by Digital_Druglord
Why? Is that TSR in general or the internet in general?

Both.
they should have access to the medical treatment they need, be included in discrimination protections, and be treated with respect
I mean at the end of the day 99.9% of non-binary people are just men or women who want to make everyone else’s life a little bit trickier lol. If they didn’t make a big song and dance about being non-binary no one would be any the wiser. Its almost like watching one of those parody movies.
(edited 2 years ago)
It's the modern day equivalent of calling yourself "bi-curious" - being LGBT is cool and popular, so people look for a way to be cool and popular and for a lot of people they find that in calling themselves "non-binary".
Reply 7
Dont really care tb, if they want to identify as whatever that is then thats up to them. Unlike what another user said though i dont think simply cho0sing to identify as something is inherently worthy of respect for no particular reason..
Original post by Napp
Dont really care tb, if they want to identify as whatever that is then thats up to them. Unlike what another user said though i dont think simply cho0sing to identify as something is inherently worthy of respect for no particular reason..

just quote me next time :h:
Reply 9
Original post by 64Lightbulbs
just quote me next time :h:

Why?
Original post by Napp
Why?

i'm the only person in the thread who has mentioned respecting people, id rather you directly respond to me instead of vaguely criticizing me in a separate post, is all :smile:
Reply 11
i'm the only person in the thread who has mentioned respecting people, id rather you directly respond to me instead of vaguely criticizing me in a separate post, is all :smile:

I was making a point, not seeking a debate ergo no need to quote..
Equally, there was no critisising, merely disagreeing.
(edited 2 years ago)
they should have access to the medical treatment they need, be included in discrimination protections, and be treated with respect

Why wouldn't they have access to the medical treatment that they need?

How do non-binary people get discriminated against, is it purely down to what they identify as?
(edited 2 years ago)
My questions are:

1) What's wrong with identifying as a male or female?

2) Was the term non-binary coined into existence due to female/male stereotypes?

3) There have been claims by some people in the LGBT that stated that an individual could identify in "100 different ways"? Doesn't this in turn, create more confusion? How would you reduce this number down and find an identity that suits you?

4) Why are people who don't identify as non-binary announcing their pronouns? Doesn't this take away attention from people that actually identify as non-binary?

I've tried best to educate myself on the topic, but the more I look, the more confused I become. Take a look at these videos and tell me if you understand what I'm saying:

1) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b4MZjMVgdk

2) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVe8wpmH_lU
Why wouldn't they have access to the medical treatment that they need?

How do non-binary people get discriminated against, is it purely down to what they identify as?

endocrinologists are and gender care wait lists notoriously sparse and long, respectively, in the uk

a lot of people will purposefully misgender non-binary people (knowingly and purposefully using the wrong name/pronouns) and medical discrimination is a form of discrimination.
My questions are:

1) What's wrong with identifying as a male or female?

2) Was the term non-binary coined into existence due to female/male stereotypes?

3) There have been claims by some people in the LGBT that stated that an individual could identify in "100 different ways"? Doesn't this in turn, create more confusion? How would you reduce this number down and find an identity that suits you?

4) Why are people who don't identify as non-binary announcing their pronouns? Doesn't this take away attention from people that actually identify as non-binary?

I've tried best to educate myself on the topic, but the more I look, the more confused I become. Take a look at these videos and tell me if you understand what I'm saying:

1) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b4MZjMVgdk

2) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVe8wpmH_lU

1) makes some people uncomforable and either causes dysphoria because they aren't male/female, hence, non-binary

2) no. I'm pretty sure the term genderqueer (a similar identity) was originally coined in the 1980s

3) non binary is an umbrella term for anyone who isn't exclusively a man or a woman, and can describe a bunch of more specific labels that people may or may not want to use. I don't think i could list half of them, and it's not important that I'm able, to. The idea is that if you know a person who wants to share that with you they will, if not, they could just want to tell you their name and pronouns, just like anyone else

4) all people have pronouns, and the goal is to make it so that when someone tells you their pronouns, they don't automatically out themselves as trans. (also because sometimes men/women are just androgynous enough that it's worth confirming)

maybe tinder and a group of like 12 random nonbinary people answering leading questions without a script is not the best way to get information

personally, i like riley dennis's video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruST0GPi68s ) otherwise the basic principle's are
1. try to use the right name/pronouns for people, apologize and move on if you mess up
2. ask necessary questions kindly, and maybe do a google search beforehand
Original post by Louis IX
It's the modern day equivalent of calling yourself "bi-curious" - being LGBT is cool and popular, so people look for a way to be cool and popular and for a lot of people they find that in calling themselves "non-binary".

To be honest, I can agree with that. When I was in high school, there was a lot of people identifying as a lot of things!
(edited 2 years ago)
It doesn't really mean anything as far as I'm concerned. A person can identify as whatever they like, call themselves whatever they like and go about their lives however they like; nothing to do with me.

However, that isn't going to coerce me into actively pretending that they are not biologically male or female depending on what sort of reproductive system or sex characteristics they are genetically programmed to have. I would still consider them and treat them as a member of their biological sex in the few situations where it is appropriate to make the distinction (e.g. medical, scientific, statistical, sporting, sexual).

Of course if they were uncomfortable or sensitive about the subject of their biological sex, I wouldn't generally feel the need to bring it up. Not in a social setting anyway.
4) all people have pronouns, and the goal is to make it so that when someone tells you their pronouns, they don't automatically out themselves as trans.

Personally I don't see how me (and other people who aren't non-binary) telling everyone our pronouns achieves this goal. As far as I can see it wouldn't really make much difference.

Either way, if a person who was clearly born into a male body (based on appearance) says "my pronouns are she/her", it would be obvious straight away that they are trans.

The only way for them to use those pronouns without outing themselves as trans would be if they looked like someone who was born into a female body. And in that case, they wouldn't even need explicitly tell people to use she/her pronouns; people would use them by default anyway.

And if an androgynous looking person said "my pronouns are she/her", it wouldn't out them as trans. The fact that they are androgynous means that we can't tell by appearance what biological sex they were born into, so there's no way to infer from this whether they are trans or not.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by tazarooni89
Personally I don't see how me (and other people who aren't non-binary) telling everyone our pronouns achieves this goal. As far as I can see it wouldn't really make much difference.

Either way, if a person who was clearly born into a male body (based on appearance) says "my pronouns are she/her", it would be obvious straight away that they are trans.

The only way for them to use those pronouns without outing themselves as trans would be if they looked like someone who was born into a female body. And in that case, they wouldn't even need explicitly tell people to use she/her pronouns; people would use them by default anyway.

And if an androgynous looking person said "my pronouns are she/her", it wouldn't out them as trans. The fact that they are androgynous means that we can't tell by appearance what biological sex they were born into, so there's no way to infer from this whether they are trans or not.

some people may notice passing trans people more often than others, especially if often interact with a ride variety of trans people. (obviously not a guarantee). Some people use multiple pronoun sets as well, and asking people to use them might make them assume someone to be trans, whether or not they are. (ex. a cis woman might use she/they because she doesn't mind people referring to her with neutral pronouns, while still identifying as a woman.)

People make unfounded inferences all of the time, and then treat people based on them. If announcing your pronouns is assumed to only be a thing trans people do, normalizing sharing your pronouns as a thing everyone does so people are not assumed to be trans is the goal.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending