Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I was speaking about possible career opportunities that I could do but she thinks a driving instructor, mum thinks car salesman isn't a proper job either and she doesn't want me doing manual labour jobs as well like builder or a car mechanic because she says they aren't academic and for people who aren't intelligent. I was thinking of being a builder a mechanic but she says they are for "dumbos".

I think she just wants me to be academic to get an academic job because my brother goes university (currently home for summer)
My sister is going university when she's older
My cousin goes uni (mum's younger brothers 2 daughters)
My other cousins went university (mum's other brothers daughters and son)

Then I'm not going university and want to be an instructor so I think that's why my mum is upset
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
Her house her rules unfortunately
JasmineAcademic
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Too much pressure is put on us at an early age!
We are expected to know from a teenager which job we want to do for the rest of our lives and well, that’s not possible!

I’m nearly 30 and worked several jobs before starting university 3 years ago!

I think it’s good to work in an area that tickles your fancy and see how you get on! If you don’t like it move on to the next thing, there’s no issues in finding something you really enjoy doing.

That way you could study as a mature student or even in a couple of years when you may want to return to education.

Look at apprenticeships. You can do university level (level 6) and masters degree (level 7) apprenticeships now.

Having a degree doesn’t make life anymore easier. It would however make it very difficult if you did something that you didn’t like or went to uni because you felt like you had to! You can only get funding once so use it wisely and don’t rush!

Many of the worlds most successful people never stepped foot in a university building.

Good luck 😉
agent37
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Sit down with her and discuss, she probably only wants the best for you but it is your life!
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by JasmineAcademic)
Too much pressure is put on us at an early age!
We are expected to know from a teenager which job we want to do for the rest of our lives and well, that’s not possible!

I’m nearly 30 and worked several jobs before starting university 3 years ago!

I think it’s good to work in an area that tickles your fancy and see how you get on! If you don’t like it move on to the next thing, there’s no issues in finding something you really enjoy doing.

That way you could study as a mature student or even in a couple of years when you may want to return to education.

Look at apprenticeships. You can do university level (level 6) and masters degree (level 7) apprenticeships now.

Having a degree doesn’t make life anymore easier. It would however make it very difficult if you did something that you didn’t like or went to uni because you felt like you had to! You can only get funding once so use it wisely and don’t rush!

Many of the worlds most successful people never stepped foot in a university building.

Good luck 😉
That's quite right, qualifications just tend to complicate things and I say that as an undergraduate myself.
Anonymous #3
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Wtf
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah, for things like what time you need to home by and how often you need to clean your room. Not for a huge decision like your future career choice.
Ella Werner
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I was speaking about possible career opportunities that I could do but she thinks a driving instructor, mum thinks car salesman isn't a proper job either and she doesn't want me doing manual labour jobs as well like builder or a car mechanic because she says they aren't academic and for people who aren't intelligent. I was thinking of being a builder a mechanic but she says they are for "dumbos".

I think she just wants me to be academic to get an academic job because my brother goes university (currently home for summer)
My sister is going university when she's older
My cousin goes uni (mum's younger brothers 2 daughters)
My other cousins went university (mum's other brothers daughters and son)

Then I'm not going university and want to be an instructor so I think that's why my mum is upset
I think the answer here is simple. Do what you think sets your soul on fire. Go for what you love and not what your parents want. Because at the end of the day it is you who is coming to use the skills from what you learnt. So if you end up following what others tell you, you might end up doing what you hate and then you will regret for the rest of your life.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (15)
6.7%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
15.18%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (38)
16.96%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
15.18%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (60)
26.79%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (43)
19.2%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed