The Student Room Group

Any advice- starting my diet to lose weight

I’m almost 17 and obese, any advice for me please…
I’ve started gym today, I go on the treadmill, do abit of cardio (burpees and sit ups) and do abit of machine weights for my chest and arms and back, I want to lose weight quick ish, I’m starting to eat healthy to, veg fruit grilled chicken eggs etc, I don’t want to get any more stretch marks and I already have a lot which I want to get rid of, and I don’t want any saggy skin to so any advice about this? Thanks in Advance
Reply 1
Don't go overboard with the exercise and don't cut too many calories at once. If you wish to minimise any amount of loose or saggy skin then you need to take things slow and steady. Also I you don't go overboard you are most likely going to be able to sustain your new weight a lot easier.
Original post by Anonymous
I’m almost 17 and obese, any advice for me please…
I’ve started gym today, I go on the treadmill, do abit of cardio (burpees and sit ups) and do abit of machine weights for my chest and arms and back, I want to lose weight quick ish, I’m starting to eat healthy to, veg fruit grilled chicken eggs etc, I don’t want to get any more stretch marks and I already have a lot which I want to get rid of, and I don’t want any saggy skin to so any advice about this? Thanks in Advance

Just eat breakfast, dinner and lunch. No snacks in between! This is just one bit of advice, though.
Reply 3
Original post by JaseyB
Don't go overboard with the exercise and don't cut too many calories at once. If you wish to minimise any amount of loose or saggy skin then you need to take things slow and steady. Also I you don't go overboard you are most likely going to be able to sustain your new weight a lot easier.

What do you mean by over board, is this over board- gym 3/4 times a week, mainly cardio and abit of weights, and eating healthy- same as I listed above ^ ?
Reply 4
Don't think about losing weight quick. It's a marathon. You may lose a lot of pounds initially, but at some point it'll get a lot harder and you can't let that demotivate you. Allow yourself to eat what you enjoy as well, just smaller portions. Going in hard with any diet tends to end up being a fail. Don't get disheartened when/if you do regress and binge on something unhealthy. It's natural and will not do too much harm as long as you're in a calorie deficit most days.

The point I'm trying to make is that it's a very long process, and there will be multiple points where things won't go as you want and you'll be disheartened. Learn from the beginning to accept those moments and remember the bigger picture, rather than allowing it to cause a regression.

One thing I do now is not weigh myself. I think weighing yourself can be a motivation booster at first, but it's easy to become obsessed. And when you start weight training, the buildup of muscle may make it seem like you haven't lost any fat. It's a lot nicer when you actually see and feel the changes on your body rather than looking at the scales all the time.

Good luck!
Loose skin is unfortunately inevitable when you’re obese and losing a lot of weight. Some things can help, but you will most likely get it.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
What do you mean by over board, is this over board- gym 3/4 times a week, mainly cardio and abit of weights, and eating healthy- same as I listed above ^ ?

If you are going from inactive to this and reducing your calories dramatically at the same time then yes it's overboard, it's better in my opinion to work towards this being the "end game" activity level but pace yourself getting to it. When it comes to minimising the amount of loose skin /saggy skin there are a few important factors to take into account.
These are your age you are young so you have that in your favour, sun damage (spending too much time with skin exposed to the sun reduces skin elasticity), time - you need to give yourself time to 1 build muscle where you are going to be losing a lot of fat from, and 2 time to give your skin to "snap back".

Quick Reply

Latest