Working in final year of masters

Watch
Qwerty58
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,
Long story short I have a job interview for tesco for a role that would require me to work 8 hours on a Saturday. I worked in a shop in first and second year. I did a placement, and after that didn't work in third year. I will be going into the final year of my Masters degree in Mechanical Engineering in September.
I don't really need the money so I would only be doing it for experience but would employers really care about a job like Tesco? It's a very full on course and I may be commuting alot but I'm not sure yet if it is online. Is it worth the extra stress? I don't want to go through the hassle of starting the job only to quit a month later because I need to focus on study.
Thank You
pineapplemango
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Take this with a pinch of salt, as I am just speaking from personal experience.

A job like Tesco wont make much difference to employers if you are looking to work within mechanical engineering. If anything it would just show that you dont have any gaps on your CV, but since you are in your final year of a masters degree a gap is expected. If it adds stress and takes focus away from your studies I wouldnt do it. Good grades is worth much more than a part-time job at Tesco in that type of field. I would personally try to build my resume in other ways. Try finding involvement opportunities at your university that could provide you with great references, get a volunteer job that is somewhat related (not sure how easy that would be for your field), write a paper and try to get it published somewhere, try to find a TA position, or look for an internship within mechanical engineering, get involved in uni clubs/associations where you could meet potential future employers. Literally anything related that would stand out a bit on your CV.

I am in a completely different field than you, but I was an applicant for a job related to my course, and one of my friends applied for the same job. I had much more work experience (but it was unrelated), while my friend had some relevant volunteer experience and university involvement related to her studies, and she got the job while I didnt. So the closer related it is, the better.

However, a job at Tesco isnt gonna make you less desired by employers, so if it doesnt add any stress or takes focus away from your studies, you could always do it. It would speak to your character that you worked while studying on a masters level.
Last edited by pineapplemango; 1 month ago
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Qwerty58)
Hi,
Long story short I have a job interview for tesco for a role that would require me to work 8 hours on a Saturday. I worked in a shop in first and second year. I did a placement, and after that didn't work in third year. I will be going into the final year of my Masters degree in Mechanical Engineering in September.
I don't really need the money so I would only be doing it for experience but would employers really care about a job like Tesco? It's a very full on course and I may be commuting alot but I'm not sure yet if it is online. Is it worth the extra stress? I don't want to go through the hassle of starting the job only to quit a month later because I need to focus on study.
Thank You
Hi,

congrats on getting an interview and also on almost completing your masters! I personally think that employers do look for someone who has work experience as long as it is relevant in some way to the job that you're hiring for. You clearly have a lot of experience including work and your placement and now your degrees as well, so Tesco may not be a must per se, but it may not hurt to have the experience either, seeing as we can all always learn from different places. If you think it will not hinder your academics then go for it! If not, then that's okay, because at the end of the day your masters degree is more important in this case. Hope that helps, and best of luck to you!

Samantha, Official UoP Rep
Qwerty58
Rep:
?
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hi,

congrats on getting an interview and also on almost completing your masters! I personally think that employers do look for someone who has work experience as long as it is relevant in some way to the job that you're hiring for. You clearly have a lot of experience including work and your placement and now your degrees as well, so Tesco may not be a must per se, but it may not hurt to have the experience either, seeing as we can all always learn from different places. If you think it will not hinder your academics then go for it! If not, then that's okay, because at the end of the day your masters degree is more important in this case. Hope that helps, and best of luck to you!

Samantha, Official UoP Rep
Thanks for the advice! Really helpful 👍
Last edited by Qwerty58; 1 month ago
Qwerty58
Rep:
?
(Original post by pineapplemango)
Take this with a pinch of salt, as I am just speaking from personal experience.

A job like Tesco wont make much difference to employers if you are looking to work within mechanical engineering. If anything it would just show that you dont have any gaps on your CV, but since you are in your final year of a masters degree a gap is expected. If it adds stress and takes focus away from your studies I wouldnt do it. Good grades is worth much more than a part-time job at Tesco in that type of field. I would personally try to build my resume in other ways. Try finding involvement opportunities at your university that could provide you with great references, get a volunteer job that is somewhat related (not sure how easy that would be for your field), write a paper and try to get it published somewhere, try to find a TA position, or look for an internship within mechanical engineering, get involved in uni clubs/associations where you could meet potential future employers. Literally anything related that would stand out a bit on your CV.

I am in a completely different field than you, but I was an applicant for a job related to my course, and one of my friends applied for the same job. I had much more work experience (but it was unrelated), while my friend had some relevant volunteer experience and university involvement related to her studies, and she got the job while I didnt. So the closer related it is, the better.

However, a job at Tesco isnt gonna make you less desired by employers, so if it doesnt add any stress or takes focus away from your studies, you could always do it. It would speak to your character that you worked while studying on a masters level.
Thanks for the advice! Very useful information and you've given me a lot to think about. Unfortunately there aren't many internship opportunities around me to get relevant experience but I'll keep hunting for some thing useful. Cheers!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.64%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (31)
14.69%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (57)
27.01%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (41)
19.43%

Watched Threads