University clubs and societies

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Is it a good idea to join a university club or societies?
In what way did it affected your studies
ashtolga23
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
When I went to a virtual open day there was one girl who seemed to throw herself into all sorts of societies and she did very well in the end, so I think it's possible to manage.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ashtolga23)
When I went to a virtual open day there was one girl who seemed to throw herself into all sorts of societies and she did very well in the end, so I think it's possible to manage.
Ohh, that's sounds like a relief
lol.yolo
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
its great to join clubs and societies: you can make friends, have something to do to de-stress, learn or improve skills and you might end up in committee positions you can put on your CV. Many freshers try lots of different clubs in the first few weeks, and then narrow it down. I think having the balance of a sport or activity with other people would help your studies, as it can give you a needed distraction, you can always cut back bit around exam times etc.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
I'd thoroughly recommend it. Best way of making (lifelong) friends. I've just been on holiday with two friends of mine (who I met through a drama society), both got firsts at undergraduate and masters level - one now doing a PhD and the other in graduate employment. Both threw themselves into the drama society for four years - directing plays, performing in them. One was the chair of the society.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'd thoroughly recommend it. Best way of making (lifelong) friends. I've just been on holiday with two friends of mine (who I met through a drama society), both got firsts at undergraduate and masters level - one now doing a PhD and the other in graduate employment. Both threw themselves into the drama society for four years - directing plays, performing in them. One was the chair of the society.
wow, that's a great story. I guess after much contemplation, I think I should join a society or a club.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
They wouldn't be allowed if they would negatively affect you.

As with anything, you're an adult and have to work out your own time management.
Last edited by Drewski; 1 month ago
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Drewski)
They wouldn't be allowed if they would negatively affect you.

As with anything, you're an account and have to work out your own time management.
Thank you for the insight
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey, I think joining clubs is a great way to make friends as well as network and add to your hobbies.

My clubs met once a week day virtually and it gave me something to look forward to. Attendance is not compulsory and most times during pressure weeks at Uni clubs take a break so you should be fine.

Lee-UoP Rep
Anonymous #1
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hey, I think joining clubs is a great way to make friends as well as network and add to your hobbies.

My clubs met once a week day virtually and it gave me something to look forward to. Attendance is not compulsory and most times during pressure weeks at Uni clubs take a break so you should be fine.

Lee-UoP Rep
This was what I was concerned about. I was worried that my studying would be affected
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi.

Joining a society is definitely a great idea for a lot of reasons. I personally like to get involved in a lot of things because I find that the when I am involved in extracurriculars I wind up learning a lot and it helps supplement my academics. E.g. I study International Relations, and I am very involved in Model United Nations. I go on conferences around the world which require some pretty intense preparation - because it's interesting to me and genuinely fun. I found that in second year, when we had a whole module on analyzing foreign and security policy and the UN, I had a lot more supplemental, current and real world knowledge compared to everyone else in my class, and that boosted my grades in the class. Academics aside, it's also just a fun way to unwind and to meet new people. It is also helpful in terms of networking. I've had many cool opportunities come up for me through people I met in MUN. If you're worried about being distracted from your studies, maybe just join one or two that don't ask too much of you. For me, I stick to MUN because it's a lot on its own. Hope that helps!

Samantha, Official UoP Rep
Pearson Business School Rep
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi,
I would definitely encourage you to look at joining in a few societies, not only do you make friends outside of your seminars/ lectures, you also get the opportunity to network with people that share the same interests and improve your employability chances.

Kind regards,
Rajeena
Student Ambassador
Anonymous #1
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hi.

Joining a society is definitely a great idea for a lot of reasons. I personally like to get involved in a lot of things because I find that the when I am involved in extracurriculars I wind up learning a lot and it helps supplement my academics. E.g. I study International Relations, and I am very involved in Model United Nations. I go on conferences around the world which require some pretty intense preparation - because it's interesting to me and genuinely fun. I found that in second year, when we had a whole module on analyzing foreign and security policy and the UN, I had a lot more supplemental, current and real world knowledge compared to everyone else in my class, and that boosted my grades in the class. Academics aside, it's also just a fun way to unwind and to meet new people. It is also helpful in terms of networking. I've had many cool opportunities come up for me through people I met in MUN. If you're worried about being distracted from your studies, maybe just join one or two that don't ask too much of you. For me, I stick to MUN because it's a lot on its own. Hope that helps!

Amazing story Samantha, I can't wait to participate in the societies or clubs in my "to be determined" university.
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Amazing story Samantha, I can't wait to participate in the societies or clubs in my "to be determined" university.
Glad I was able to help haha! All the best with everything!

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (360)
84.11%
No (68)
15.89%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed