anonymoushahah
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
hello, i would like to apply to both of these universities, in case i get in to both which onw should i go to? i want to do criminology at uni. I have heard that durham uni does not have a good reputation internationally but manchester does, is that going to affect me in the future? also durham is seen as better in the uk right ? im truly confused, is it better to go to an uni which is seen as good in the country you wanna work in or go to an uni seen as good internationally?
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by anonymoushahah)
hello, i would like to apply to both of these universities, in case i get in to both which onw should i go to? i want to do criminology at uni. I have heard that durham uni does not have a good reputation internationally but manchester does, is that going to affect me in the future? also durham is seen as better in the uk right ? im truly confused, is it better to go to an uni which is seen as good in the country you wanna work in or go to an uni seen as good internationally?
if reputation is something that interests you, then i will say that Criminology as a degree itself has a poor reputation, and any difference in reputation between Manchester and Durham is completely insignificant. go to the uni which offers the modules that interest you and the environment that suits you - one is in a big, fun, multicultural city, whereas the other is a pretty, cosy, monocultural posh environment
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Went to Durham, it's alright.
McGinger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You need to go to Open Days, find out as much about what makes each course different - and the difference in the two Unis.
Durham is college based in a small city - and Manchester is a big city Uni with thousands of students.

Which course interests you more?
Which Uni feels 'right'?

This is not something total strangers on a website chatboard can decide for you.
plinny20
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Look at jobs you could apply for - i.e. imagine you were qualified- now and job hunting. You might find the course content matters and not the name. Pick where you feel comfortable living and look at transport. Think of your CV and what you can join in with etc etc. You have 2 totally different places. Do you like cities urban style- if not Manchester is not for you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.64%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (31)
14.69%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (57)
27.01%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (41)
19.43%

Watched Threads