how do people set goals?

Watch
tierny3
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
im on a gap year atm and i have a bunch of things i wanna accomplish. but i dont want to over do it. how do i ensure i feel that ive improved a lot at the end of the year but at the same time not spread myself too thin
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by tierny3)
im on a gap year atm and i have a bunch of things i wanna accomplish. but i dont want to over do it. how do i ensure i feel that ive improved a lot at the end of the year but at the same time not spread myself too thin
1. Write down all your goals in order of importance and stick it somewhere where you can always see it. Make sure the things you want to accomplish are relevant and are things you will enjoy doing.
2. Make a prediction of how long each goal will take to complete. Compare this to how long you have in your gap year. Do you see yourself struggling to complete all your goals or do you feel you will have a lot of time remaining before your gap year ends?
3. Use the acronym SMART to plan and achieve your goals.
https://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/smart-goals.htm
4. Give yourself breaks in between your goals so you do not get burnt out or tired.
Wise Goldie
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 5hyl33n)
1. Write down all your goals in order of importance and stick it somewhere where you can always see it. Make sure the things you want to accomplish are relevant and are things you will enjoy doing.
2. Make a prediction of how long each goal will take to complete. Compare this to how long you have in your gap year. Do you see yourself struggling to complete all your goals or do you feel you will have a lot of time remaining before your gap year ends?
3. Use the acronym SMART to plan and achieve your goals.
https://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/smart-goals.htm
4. Give yourself breaks in between your goals so you do not get burnt out or tired.
wise shyleen
5hyl33n
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Wise Goldie)
wise shyleen
Thank you, Wise Goldie.
Last edited by 5hyl33n; 1 month ago
Wise Goldie
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 5hyl33n)
Thank you, Wise Goldie.
yeh but you always help othrs so much on here
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Basic method I use
1. Decide what I am going to do
2. Do it
Goal achieved.
That's been my way of living for 6 years now and it's not lead me anywhere bad.
Last edited by ROTL94; 1 month ago
5hyl33n
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Wise Goldie)
yeh but you always help othrs so much on here
I try my best. :blushing:
4D Chess
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
1. Find a nice toaster
2. Make sum epic toast :awesome:
3. This has absolutely zero relevance to the topic, thus you should stop reading this and JUST DO WHATEVER YOU NEED TO ACCOMPLISH
username5777717
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'll give my two pence, having become very goal-focussed over the past few years after being a bit of an unmotivated loser until my mid/late 20s:

For each of the things you hope to accomplish overall, try to break it down into smaller steps you can take towards reaching the desired result.

Try to imagine what could go wrong or might not work as expected and what you can do in such situations.

Start taking those steps, pretty self explanatory. But the key is to break the main objective into the smallest steps you can; lots of things start with a phone call or email or text message; don't underestimate the power of actions which may feel trivial.

Don't be disheartened or give up when you have setbacks! There definitely will be some, making things happen is generally difficult but always remember this - there's a very rewarding satisfaction in the mere sense of having really struggled to do something but having ultimately beaten all the obstacles, a sense of triumph.

Following on from the previous point, always 'keep your eyes on the prize', i.e. keep reminding yourself why you're taking the steps that you are. You're doing it because it's leading you towards something that you want in your life, towards an improved version of yourself. When you experience obstacles or setbacks or failures, use positive affirmation: "ok this is proving to be extremely challenging, but it's going to < enable me to spend my time in more fulfilling ways / establish the career I want to pursue / improve my social life / improve my dating prospects / whatever you're trying to accomplish > and I WILL GET THERE EVENTUALLY".

I don't know what your goals are but setting yourself deadlines can be a double-edged sword. In some situations they can be helpful and in many situations they may not be helpful at all. What I'm getting at is that it might not necessarily matter whether you've fully realised your goals during your gap year. If you know what steps you need to take towards your goal, have been making effort to take those steps and you have a strong will, not much can prevent you from eventually reaching them. I think it's good to aim to have done something within a given time-frame, but if you haven't managed to quite do it by that deadline and have been trying your best, don't sweat it too much. In life, things seldom turn out as expected; how you adapt to circumstances is what's important.
Last edited by username5777717; 1 month ago
parmezanne
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i do mine on my phone and then pin the note so i look back at it every few months :yep:
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by tierny3)
I like to make a list of the things I want to do and track my progress against those things - that way even if I haven't fully completed it, I can still see what I've done and appreciate how much I've done.

For example, I've recently picked up a new programming language and I'm keeping all of my past work so that I can look back at how bad I was at the start and how far I've come since. The same could go for learning a new instrument, getting better at a sport, etc.

~ Mikael, UoP Student Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
5.56%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (7)
19.44%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (4)
11.11%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (3)
8.33%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (12)
33.33%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (8)
22.22%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise