Title: university of leeds or surrey For nutrition and food science undergrad

Watch
Bruce5
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
greetings, as mentioned in the title, I hold an unconditional offer in nutrition and food science in Surrey, and the same course in Leeds during clearing. Is there anything I should be aware of, and which university will suit me best if I am looking for a fruitful and fun university life?
Last edited by Bruce5; 1 month ago
University of Surrey Student Rep
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Bruce5)
Hi I am a student from HongKong and really have no idea how to choose uni in UK . Some background first, both university of Leeds and university of Surrey have give me a conditional offer in BCS food science and nutrition and I met both of them. Now I am struggling on whether to confirm Leeds or surrey . I already know the difference in locations and weather, but I would like to know more about working opportunities and work experience etc. And is there anything I should be aware of when choosing the course?? Thx for your time ,and sorry for my English :/
Hi there,

To introduce myself – I’m Joao, starting next semester I will be in my final year studying BSc Economics at Surrey University while working as a Campus Ambassador for JP Morgan. I recently finished my one-year industrial placement as an Economist for the British Government’s Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra). I also had the opportunity to work as a Private Secretary to the Minister of Environment and Biosecurity.

I can totally understand your dilemma as I went through the same thing when I was deciding on a university to attend. I found that university experience and performance are determined not just by the university itself but also by the surrounding area as that is a 3-4yr commitment. It might also be useful for you to work up a 'priority list' for your dream university including factors such as tuition fees, the cost of living, ranking, distance from home, campus-style, proximity to a city center, surrounding area, diversity, job prospects, networking opportunities, course modules, student-staff ratio, etc.

Here are some useful links to compare university degrees:

- https://universitycompare.com/
- https://www.whatuni.com/
- https://discoveruni.gov.uk/

Surrey: a study on an Institute of Food Science and Technology (IFST) accredited course ranked 2nd in the UK by The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2021 and 4th in the UK by the Complete University Guide 2022. In your first year, you’ll study a broad range of topics, including food science and nutrition, to give you a solid foundation upon which to build the rest of your degree.

In your second year, you’ll develop your understanding of what happens to the components of food during processing and storage. You'll gain an understanding of the role of food microbiology and how safe, nutritious food can be produced. You’ll acquire an appreciation for the functionality of ingredients used in foods, while exploring the basis of nutrition and the role this has on the etiology and prevention of key disorders, such as cancer. In your third year, you’ll have the choice to specialize further, studying topics like food chemistry to continue to evaluate the role of natural and added components in the foods we eat. You will also gain a more in-depth understanding of the technologies used to produce safe and nutritious foods as well as the importance of food security. You’ll also advance your knowledge of the role of nutrition in illnesses like cardiovascular disease.

The campus is lovely. Surrey is known to emphasize the social life of students and always care about how you spend your free time at university. The student union offers more than 140 societies based on any hobbies and interests students have and clubs for all kinds of sport that a student might want to take up. And even with covid restrictions, the union managed to organize one of the biggest covid-safe university events in the country!

If I were you I would consider doing a placement year. The placement provides students with a unique opportunity to gain skills specific to their subject or industry of choice as well as the employability skills required for real-life work so I would suggest applying for a sandwich degree. Our Employability and Careers team will encourage you to be proactive and apply for your industry placement yourself, by writing a CV and cover letter. More importantly, your school or department will appoint a senior tutor for Professional Training who will work with you from the application process to completing your placement. This is an academic member of staff with responsibility for delivering the Professional Training scheme and supporting you at all stages of the journey.

The university also provides a Professional Training coaching scheme, where you can be paired with a student who has recently returned from their placement. That way you will have friendly support from someone who went through the same placement-seeking process and who will prepare you for the world of work. Also, as some placements abroad may involve learning and communicate in a language other than English, the university has support available to help you develop your language skills.

If you have any questions about Surrey or uni life in general, then please ask as I am here to help you out

Joao
Economics
Last edited by University of Surrey Student Rep; 1 month ago
GladyG
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Bruce5)
greetings, as mentioned in the title, I hold an unconditional offer in nutrition and food science in Surrey, and the same course in Leeds during clearing. Is there anything I should be aware of, and which university will suit me best if I am looking for a fruitful and fun university life?
Hi!! Which uni did you decide on in the end? I’m headed to Leeds in September to study food science
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
5.56%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (7)
19.44%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (4)
11.11%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (3)
8.33%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (12)
33.33%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (8)
22.22%

Watched Threads