Ilovevirology
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I have just finished my undergrad and will be starting my master's in October. I am considering applying for a PhD but am not entirely sure how the process of applying for a PhD works. I would like to do my PhD on HIV, thus would I simply make a PhD application for microbiology and then choose HIV as my topic once enrolled on the PhD? As you can probably tell, I really do not know much about PhDs. If someone could shed some light on how to apply and possibly share their experience on what it's like doing a PhD that would be great!
taxonomy.
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
just go to www2.freephds.com.ru
Plagioclase
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ilovevirology)
Hi, I have just finished my undergrad and will be starting my master's in October. I am considering applying for a PhD but am not entirely sure how the process of applying for a PhD works. I would like to do my PhD on HIV, thus would I simply make a PhD application for microbiology and then choose HIV as my topic once enrolled on the PhD? As you can probably tell, I really do not know much about PhDs. If someone could shed some light on how to apply and possibly share their experience on what it's like doing a PhD that would be great!
In the UK for sciences (this process may vary in other countries) there are two basic types of PhD. The first is by far the most common, where you apply for a very specific project (which will be a lot more specific than just 'HIV'). The second is where you apply for a broader PhD programme where you're able to try out different things before formulating a research project yourself. These are often called Doctoral Training Centres. These are less common (and often more competitive).

In either case, it is likely that you will be expected to already have research experience. Assuming you want a funded PhD (and you should never self-fund a PhD), you will be competing against people who have already published papers so if you do not have any research experience already, getting some should be your absolute priority. Funding for PhDs is limited so potential supervisors are not going to be enthusiastic about gambling on a student without a proven track record in research!

In terms of finding a PhD, FindAPhD is a great resource (it's primarily UK-based although some international projects are on there too).
Last edited by Plagioclase; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.35%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
15.1%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (44)
17.96%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.29%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (64)
26.12%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.18%

Watched Threads