AmyleeAnderson
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I chose PE for my GCSE but I also wanted to pick drama so I was going to ask my mum to phone up the school and ask to change for year 10 to drama but now I don't know because I got predicted a 6 in PE in y7 and I enjoy PE but when I'm older I want to be a dancer and do some acting, also drama would go with that considering people say I'm a good actor but I've started to get anxiety when performing in front of people or even reading out loud I constantly have a habit of swallowing but I feel I could be more confident knowing my friends will be in my new class hopefully. So should I stick to PE knowing I'd probably get my GCSE's in it, or change to drama and pursue my dreams.
aj_24
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
pursue your dreams
Mulefa
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ultimately its your decision - but if you think it would help you if you want to be a dancer, I'd say go for drama. I'm doing drama GCSE at the moment so would be happy to answer any questions you have. Firstly, it's not all acting - for edexcel, 70% of your grade comes from either answering questions on the final exam, having studying a play and a performance, or coursework. Secondly, because you do quite a lot of acting and performances and practise so many times, your confidence will quickly build. I've always been nervous before going onstage - but repeatedly challenging myself to perform in class has helped build my confidence and ability so much.
AmyleeAnderson
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mulefa)
Ultimately its your decision - but if you think it would help you if you want to be a dancer, I'd say go for drama. I'm doing drama GCSE at the moment so would be happy to answer any questions you have. Firstly, it's not all acting - for edexcel, 70% of your grade comes from either answering questions on the final exam, having studying a play and a performance, or coursework. Secondly, because you do quite a lot of acting and performances and practise so many times, your confidence will quickly build. I've always been nervous before going onstage - but repeatedly challenging myself to perform in class has helped build my confidence and ability so much.
This helped a lot thank you, but could you give an example of what the questions would be in the final exam? I've been told by a lot of people that drama is really hard to pass and I need 2 A levels to become a professional dancer if I wanted to do that would it be easy to achieve?
AmyleeAnderson
Rep:
?
(Original post by aj_24)
pursue your dreams
thanks
Mulefa
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by AmyleeAnderson)
This helped a lot thank you, but could you give an example of what the questions would be in the final exam? I've been told by a lot of people that drama is really hard to pass and I need 2 A levels to become a professional dancer if I wanted to do that would it be easy to achieve?
No problem! In class, you'll study a play (e.g. DNA, The Crucible) and you get an extract for the final exam. Some of the questions are based on how you would perform (e.g. How would you use vocal skills when performing as character x and you would talk about pitch, tone etc.), others how you design it (e.g. You are a designer/director for this play, pick one of the following and write about it: lighting, sound, set, props etc.). There are also questions on a piece of live theatre (or for my year, a recorded piece due to covid) and it asks you to analyse/evaluate the acting, set design, lighting etc.

In short, if you are committed, the questions are easy to predict and plan responses to and I'm sure your teacher will guide you well. I don't think it's particularly hard to pass and stuff like coursework means there's less to learn for the final exam so you can focus more on other subjects.
Last edited by Mulefa; 1 month ago
AmyleeAnderson
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mulefa)
No problem! In class, you'll study a play (e.g. DNA, The Crucible) and you get an extract for the final exam. Some of the questions are based on how you would perform (e.g. How would you use vocal skills when performing as character x and you would talk about pitch, tone etc.), others how you design it (e.g. You are a designer/director for this play, pick one of the following and write about it: lighting, sound, set, props etc.). There are also questions on a piece of live theatre (or for my year, a recorded piece due to covid) and it asks you to analyse/evaluate the acting, set design, lighting etc.

In short, if you are committed, the questions are easy to predict and plan responses to and I'm sure your teacher will guide you well. I don't think it's particularly hard to pass and stuff like coursework means there's less to learn for the final exam so you can focus more on other subjects.
Perfect! Thank you I'll probably change to drama
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (17)
7.33%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
14.66%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (40)
17.24%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
14.66%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (62)
26.72%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (45)
19.4%

Watched Threads