genetichi
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Should I pick AQA religious studies, OCR computing or AQA history for my extra GCSE? I am looking for the one I will most likely get a 9 in.
Frozetman
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
well its dependent on the type of student u are

History and RE are both essay based subjects so if writing isn't your forte that probably isn't a good choice
But if you have a good logical chain of reasoning / a more mathematical approach computing would be a good choice

I did RE with Eduqas and got an 8 (covid cancelled the exams) but it was a subject i struggled with cause of the amount of writing I had to do. I think I only managed a good grade because I'm a person of faith so understood the majority of the concepts in the units

As with computing i personally didn't do it but my brother did and he says it's rlly easy. The majority of his class were given 9s last year.

As with history my friends say that the time pressure is very hard to deal with and often some wouldn't finish the exams but overall the topics covered were interesting.

Yet again I have to say that It very much should be based on what you think you will enjoy most because if you enjoy the subject u will naturally find revising easier and thus be able to achieve the grade 9 u want.
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
take whichever subject you enjoy the most as that'll be the one you're most likely to get a 9 in. i did computing and rs- got a 5 in computing and 9 in re :rofl: i didn't enjoy re but i think it's easier to get a 9 in than compsci- depends what your skillset is though
Kiera.Smith
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by genetichi)
Should I pick AQA religious studies, OCR computing or AQA history for my extra GCSE? I am looking for the one I will most likely get a 9 in.
I did AQA Religious Studies and Edexcel History, and I will study them both at A-Level in September (I'm predicted a 9 in history and an 8 in religious studies). Both subjects are essay-based, so make sure that you are prepared for lots of note-taking and essays if you're going to pick one of them.
For History, make sure to look at the topics that you will be studying (if you're not interested in them, then it would make the lessons extremely boring). History was also one of my hardest subjects content-wise, as there is a lot of information, dates, people etc. to remember, but don't let it put you off as long as you are willing to put the hard work in.
For Religious Studies, you don't only look at religion, you may also study issues like abortion, euthanasia, peace and conflict, animal testing etc. So if discussion and debate is something you're interested in, then I would say that Religious Studies is the one to go with (and it's easier than history).
I enjoy both subjects and if you pick either of them I would say they are a good choice. I hope this helped, best of luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
5.41%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (7)
18.92%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (4)
10.81%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (3)
8.11%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (13)
35.14%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (8)
21.62%

Watched Threads