elyxe
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am going to receive my GCSE results on 12th August and I want to familiarise myself with the grading system. I tried to google it but I'm still slightly confused. Some websites say that a grade 9 is an A star and others say it is above an A star.

What does a grade 9, 8 and 5 equate to in the previous numerical grading system?
Typhoons
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Try this
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-48993830
elyxe
Rep:
?
Ok, thank you.
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I was under the impression that

9 = slightly higher than A*
8 = between A and A*
7 = A
6 = B
5 = high C / low B
4 = low C

But someone told me in another thread that colleges and universities consider both 8 and 9 to be an A*
alevelstudent21
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
From what I believe:
9 - Above A*
8 - A*
7 - A
6 - Low A High B
5 - Low B High C
4 - Low C
econhelp525
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by alevelstudent21)
From what I believe:
9 - Above A*
8 - A*
7 - A
6 - Low A High B
5 - Low B High C
4 - Low C
This is not correct.

A 9 overlaps an A* and slightly above it.

An 8 is the top end of an A, lower end of an A*.

A grade 7 is an A.

A grade 6 is the top end of a B. But it's not the lower end of an A, the grade 7 encompasses the entire grade A.

A grade 5 is the lower end of a B, and top end of a C.

A grade 4 is a C

The rest isn't worth mentioning.
elyxe
Rep:
?
(Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
I was under the impression that

9 = slightly higher than A*
8 = between A and A*
7 = A
6 = B
5 = high C / low B
4 = low C

But someone told me in another thread that colleges and universities consider both 8 and 9 to be an A*
Thank you!
elyxe
Rep:
?
(Original post by econhelp525)
This is not correct.

A 9 overlaps an A* and slightly above it.

An 8 is the top end of an A, lower end of an A*.

A grade 7 is an A.

A grade 6 is the top end of a B. But it's not the lower end of an A, the grade 7 encompasses the entire grade A.

A grade 5 is the lower end of a B, and top end of a C.

A grade 4 is a C

The rest isn't worth mentioning.
Ok, thank you!
ashtolga23
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
When I was going my GCSEs I used to find this image really helpful. A 9 is above an A*, a 7 is more like an A, and a 4 is basically a C.

Name:  3F623D28-8C60-4199-B45D-EE86C2D0E10F.png
Views: 15
Size:  33.6 KB
Typhoons
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A 9 signifies a high A*. It not technically higher than an A* as it is not possible to say if someone with an A* got a high mark ( 9) or scraped through (8).
The reason they did not introduce a A** or similar upper letter grade is may have disadvantaged those with A* in old money competing with some one with a new A** grade, when in theory they both could have got the same high percentage in their exams taken at different times.
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The 'new' grading system has been in use since the current Year 11s started in Year 7. I can understand parents still being confused but I'm amazed students are still asking.
elyxe
Rep:
?
(Original post by Compost)
The 'new' grading system has been in use since the current Year 11s started in Year 7. I can understand parents still being confused but I'm amazed students are still asking.
My school has only been using the 9-1 system for the past year and a half when giving students feedback on assignments. Instead, we'd use numbers and letters combined, such as Level 1-9 combined with E for expected, S for securing and M for Mastering. The 9-1 system is confusing for me because some websites argue that a grade 9 is an A* and others argue it is above an A*.
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by elyxe)
My school has only been using the 9-1 system for the past year and a half when giving students feedback on assignments. Instead, we'd use numbers and letters combined, such as Level 1-9 combined with E for expected, S for securing and M for Mastering. The 9-1 system is confusing for me because some websites argue that a grade 9 is an A* and others argue it is above an A*.
As an A* could have been 100% the concept of 'above an A*' is clearly daft. 8 and 9 both cover the band that was covered by an A*.
elyxe
Rep:
?
(Original post by Compost)
As an A* could have been 100% the concept of 'above an A*' is clearly daft. 8 and 9 both cover the band that was covered by an A*.
Thank you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.5%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (35)
14.58%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (43)
17.92%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
14.17%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (63)
26.25%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.58%

Watched Threads