goneclear
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey, how hard is it at a level and is it interesting? I hear ppl tend to fall in love with chem a level after they didn’t like it too much at gcse, also is the content a big jump from gcse, thanks in advance
icecream14
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah I prefer A Level Chemistry much more than GCSE - especially the organic side as we didn't get much organic at GCSE.
I personally preferred GCSE bio compared to A Level, as at A Level there is a lot of content to cover and learn for biology. A lot of people say chemistry is more difficult than bio but I found that I struggled much more in remembering the bio content.
There is definitely way more content for both A Level subjects compared to GCSE, especially biology.
Hellllpppp
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A lot of people find understanding A level chemistry hard (including people who found it easy at gcse) and a lot of people find the application questions in biology exams hard. Personally I didn’t find either too difficult as I found the subjects really interesting so didn’t mind spending my time consolidating and practicing exam technique.

I would say you can’t really compare GCSEs and a levels as at gcse you are studying 10 subjects you kinda like and at A level you’re studying just 3 of your favourite ones. I found A-levels a lot easier as I only had to study subjects I was good at and the commitment was only 27hrs a week whereas at gcse I was doing 11 subjects and spending 40+hrs a week studying so I was burnt out and exhausted. The content is obviously more difficult but so doable.
Last edited by Hellllpppp; 1 month ago
goneclear
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hellllpppp)
A lot of people find understanding A level chemistry hard (including people who found it easy at gcse) and a lot of people find the application questions in biology exams hard. Personally I didn’t find either too difficult as I found the subjects really interesting so didn’t mind spending my time consolidating and practicing exam technique.

I would say you can’t really compare GCSEs and a levels as at gcse you are studying 10 subjects you kinda like and at A level you’re studying just 3 of your favourite ones. I found A-levels a lot easier as I only had to study subjects I was good at and the commitment was only 27hrs a week whereas at gcse I was doing 11 subjects and spending 40+hrs a week studying so I was burnt out and exhausted. The content is obviously more difficult but so doable.
But u still have to do loadssss of independent study, so u burnout eventually ?
TheKira
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I used to dislike GCSE Chemistry, I found it really boring and just chose it for A levels as I didn’t know what to do. Now I love A level Chem, and chemistry in general . In my opinion chemistry is really interesting and I think ppl just dislike it when it comes to exam questions and the application.

Biology used to be my easiest subject at GCSE as all I used to do is read the revision guide and get a 9. Now there’s alot of content to learn and the mark schemes are annoying. The content can be hard to understand at times but you get better with loads of practice.
Hellllpppp
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by goneclear)
But u still have to do loadssss of independent study, so u burnout eventually ?
The independent study + lessons is 27 hrs a week. 13.5 lessons and 13.5 independent study. And tbh in my first year I did a lot less probably only 10 max independent study. If you spend your time efficiently actively reviewing and revising you can have a lot more free time.
goneclear
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hellllpppp)
The independent study + lessons is 27 hrs a week. 13.5 lessons and 13.5 independent study. And tbh in my first year I did a lot less probably only 10 max independent study. If you spend your time efficiently actively reviewing and revising you can have a lot more free time.
So do u suggest I go to a college
icecream14
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by goneclear)
So do u suggest I go to a college
I don't think it matters where you go. You can perform well anywhere if you put the effort in. A Level required you to be independent much more than GCSE where you had teachers helping you with basc everything.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
3.45%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (8)
13.79%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (8)
13.79%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (7)
12.07%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (23)
39.66%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (10)
17.24%

Watched Threads