?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Bio chem and psychology? Hoping to do a apprenticeship potentially
icecream14
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Chem and bio have little maths, but maths itself may have been better and would make your application stand out more than psychology.
However, I think you can do internships or get extra certificates related to maths or accounting which could potentially improve your application.
goneclear
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
(Original post by icecream14)
Chem and bio have little maths, but maths itself may have been better and would make your application stand out more than psychology.
However, I think you can do internships or get extra certificates related to maths or accounting which could potentially improve your application.
I despise a level maths lol, imma do core maths
Ten-Ten
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Doesn’t really link with accounting imo
goneclear
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ten-Ten)
Doesn’t really link with accounting imo
But there’s no specific requirements for accounting, just like with law
Ten-Ten
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by goneclear)
But there’s no specific requirements for accounting, just like with law
Some uni’s actually require a level maths for it. Studying something like economics or business looks good when applying to it
Last edited by Ten-Ten; 1 month ago
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You 'despise' A level maths but you want to be an accountant...
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What is your grade at gcse maths?
goneclear
Rep:
?
(Original post by ajj2000)
What is your grade at gcse maths?
6, rest are 7/8
goneclear
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
You 'despise' A level maths but you want to be an accountant...
Accounting is nothing like a level maths… since when is accounting area of a circle and working out missing angles lol
Kogomogo
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Accounting is nothing like a level maths… since when is accounting area of a circle and working out missing angles lol
Circle areas and missing angles are more like gcse maths. A-level is much worse (and i think more interesting, especially the integration/differentiation and more algebra based stuff, but a lot harder).
goneclear
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kogomogo)
Circle areas and missing angles are more like gcse maths. A-level is much worse (and i think more interesting, especially the integration/differentiation and more algebra based stuff, but a lot harder).
Ik, idk much about a level maths but what I’m saying is accounting is nothing like a level maths
Nobody2u
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You don't need A level maths to become a chartered accountant. The maths required is no harder than GCSE. I got first time passes in all my professional exams with little more than a B in O level.
Ten-Ten
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ik, idk much about a level maths but what I’m saying is accounting is nothing like a level maths
How can you say you know it’s nothing like a level maths but don’t know about a level maths
goneclear
Rep:
?
How can you say you know it’s nothing like a level maths but don’t know about a level maths
I’m oab idk about all the modules… but I do now it’s gcse maths extended and more developed… which isn’t needed in accounting…
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
6, rest are 7/8
Ah, well done! Ok - I can see your reason for not taking A level maths. That's fine. I think doing something like core maths may be a good idea as passing aptitude tests is a big part of applying for apprenticeships or graduate positions. Very few jobs will require A level maths - or even favour it - but most require decent A level results. With that in mind you should look at subjects which you can score well in as not getting the grades makes it very hard to get a competitive entry level job.

I'd also err towards making at least 2 out of 3 A levels (don't do Btecs) academic looking subjects - all three you have suggested are fine.
goneclear
Rep:
?
(Original post by ajj2000)
Ah, well done! Ok - I can see your reason for not taking A level maths. That's fine. I think doing something like core maths may be a good idea as passing aptitude tests is a big part of applying for apprenticeships or graduate positions. Very few jobs will require A level maths - or even favour it - but most require decent A level results. With that in mind you should look at subjects which you can score well in as not getting the grades makes it very hard to get a competitive entry level job.

I'd also err towards making at least 2 out of 3 A levels (don't do Btecs) academic looking subjects - all three you have suggested are fine.
Are there many apprenticeships
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Are there many apprenticeships
Loads. All competitive - possibly not as competitive as graduate entry though. There are a number of people on these forums who are doing ACA apprenticeships at the moment (if that's what interests you) - perhaps read the threads and send them a message to see how they find it?
Ten-Ten
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’m oab idk about all the modules… but I do now it’s gcse maths extended and more developed… which isn’t needed in accounting…
If you’re studying just accounting then you don’t need it but if you’re studying accounting and finance then you will
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you’re studying just accounting then you don’t need it but if you’re studying accounting and finance then you will
no - very few A+F degrees require A level maths.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.44%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
15.29%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (43)
17.77%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
14.05%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (63)
26.03%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.42%

Watched Threads