The Student Room Group

Sleep walking and citalopram

Hey! I recently started taking citalopram. I used to sleep walk and talk quite badly but it disappeared as a teenager.
I still regularly sleep talk however.
Since talking citalopram I’ve been waking my boyfriend up frantically in the middle of the night (I’m asleep so I have no recollection) but I’ve been shaking him and shouting at him to get up.
Is this the citalopram that has caused this...? Anyone experienced sleep related symptoms?
One of the side effects is weird dreams. For most people that’s not an issue, worst case is a nightmare.
Yours is probably more exaggerated because of your tendency to talk/walk in your sleep.

It could of course be entirely possible that it’s unrelated to the medication.

Either way, you’ll be pleased to know that the symptoms of citalopram tone down a bit and (for me at least) the weird dreams went away
There is a known connection between SSRIs and 'parasomnias' (sleepwalking/talking etc) - I suggest you give your GP a call.

(When are you taking it? Morning or evening? This might have an impact.)
Thank you both for explaining. I am currently taking it in the mornings and I have only been taking it for about 2 weeks
Original post by Cloudsandstars
Thank you both for explaining. I am currently taking it in the mornings and I have only been taking it for about 2 weeks

It takes most people at least 3 weeks for body/brain to adjust to these meds.
If the sleep issues get scary, then give your GP a call straight away, but you may find it does just settle down.
Original post by McGinger
It takes most people at least 3 weeks for body/brain to adjust to these meds.
If the sleep issues get scary, then give your GP a call straight away, but you may find it does just settle down.

Thank you I wasn’t aware of that

Quick Reply

Latest