Don’t know what to do

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Results day is soon and I’m starting to question if I even want to do a pharmacy degree anymore
I’ve seen some widening participation schemes for those from under represented backgrounds for medicine and was wondering if it’s possible to get into those through clearing
Or if I was to take a year out and reapply or would that look bad
And if they’re so competitive to get into, is it worth applying
I’m so stressed out because I thought I’d enjoy pharmacy but given the amount of negative views regarding pharmacy I’m starting to question it
University of Strathclyde
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Results day is soon and I’m starting to question if I even want to do a pharmacy degree anymore
I’ve seen some widening participation schemes for those from under represented backgrounds for medicine and was wondering if it’s possible to get into those through clearing
Or if I was to take a year out and reapply or would that look bad
And if they’re so competitive to get into, is it worth applying
I’m so stressed out because I thought I’d enjoy pharmacy but given the amount of negative views regarding pharmacy I’m starting to question it
Hey Anon! Don't panic, I know this can be a stressful time but take your time in making your decision :hugs: I think there can be some negative views attached to Pharmacy, but it's still a really strong degree that has options at the end of it. If you still have a love for the Pharmacy profession and really want to study it, I'm sure anyone would understand that! It's good to be aware of any challenges in the industry though so you can prepare and be ready for them if needs be later down the line.

To help work through some of your uncertainties- talk to the universities you've seen that offer Medicine to find out your options (for both this year and next year potentially). Ask them if it's possible for entry this year and if so, what would you need to do to apply. Have you looked in to Medicine as a career pathway and compared that with Pharmacy? Is there anything about Medicine that appeals to you more/less than Pharmacy as an area?

If you take a year out to reapply I wouldn't say that looks bad! Have a think about what you would do with a gap year that would support your application, particularly in the Medicine field. Again, this is something that universities offering Medicine would be happy to chat to you about and advise on. If you're still on the fence about Pharmacy vs Medicine, know you'll have 5 choices on your UCAS form and if you apply for Medicine by the October deadline you can use 4 of these choices for Medicine, and your 5th for a backup choice (i.e. something like Pharmacy). Therefore you can potentially go down the route of applying for Medicine and still having Pharmacy there as an option if you like.

It's always worth applying to a course that you have a passion for The only way that you will definitely not get an offer to a competitive course is by not trying at all. If you ask the right questions to the right teams within universities, you'll have a good idea of what they look for and whether or not you are able to apply. Get the ball rolling and see if your mind starts to swing one way or the other, but don't make any big decisions until you've weighed up everything and can be more sure of things in your mind.

Hope some of that helps a bit! Try to take your time and don't rush in to anything, it'll all work out in the end! :^_^:

- Caitlin
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.33%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (14)
15.56%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (17)
18.89%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (10)
11.11%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (30)
33.33%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (16)
17.78%

Watched Threads