ecoleaf
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, trying to gauge how competitive the Econ course at Cambridge is. Looking around, the answer seems to be that theres a 16-18% acceptance rate, which is quite low but I'm trying to gauge how many of those who applied had a realistic chance of getting in. (y11 here, with 9s/8s predicted)
dan140804
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ecoleaf)
Hi, trying to gauge how competitive the Econ course at Cambridge is. Looking around, the answer seems to be that theres a 16-18% acceptance rate, which is quite low but I'm trying to gauge how many of those who applied had a realistic chance of getting in. (y11 here, with 9s/8s predicted)
Firstly, Cambridge tends to interview ~70-80% of applicants, varying through courses. Since Economics is pretty maths-heavy at Cambridge, they interview a lot of applicants. Most applicants, with 3 A* predicted and a good personal statement, usually get an interview. At said interview, you will be given a little test before your actual interview that will be like nothing you've done at school and force you to think logically and applying concepts from A level to more complex questions. For economics, I'd advise taking further maths- as I said, it's a maths-heavy course. GCSE's don't have too much influence, they just want to see your performance compared to your school but good performance at A level easily outweighs any potential issues at GCSE.

To sum up, basically, Cambridge mostly receives really serious applications, hence the high interview rate. The interview is where you're really competing.

Truth is, you're most likely not applying there if you're not that bright, which is why almost 70% of candidates have a minimum of A*AA.

I would also suggest taking 4 A levels, if you know you can get 4 A* as you''re then almost certain to get an interview. The people at my school applying for economics at oxbridge have also created their own club, where they made a website to upload their own economics articles related to the real world. I would suggest doing something similar to stand out if you're predicted A levels are lower but judging by your GCSE's, you can get. 4 A*.
Last edited by dan140804; 1 month ago
ecoleaf
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by danm26)
Firstly, Cambridge tends to interview ~70-80% of applicants, varying through courses. Since Economics is pretty maths-heavy at Cambridge, they interview a lot of applicants. Most applicants, with 3 A* predicted and a good personal statement, usually get an interview. At said interview, you will be given a little test before your actual interview that will be like nothing you've done at school and force you to think logically and applying concepts from A level to more complex questions. For economics, I'd advise taking further maths- as I said, it's a maths-heavy course. GCSE's don't have too much influence, they just want to see your performance compared to your school but good performance at A level easily outweighs any potential issues at GCSE.

To sum up, basically, Cambridge mostly receives really serious applications, hence the high interview rate. The interview is where you're really competing.

Truth is, you're most likely not applying there if you're not that bright, which is why almost 70% of candidates have a minimum of A*AA.

I would also suggest taking 4 A levels, if you know you can get 4 A* as you''re then almost certain to get an interview. The people at my school applying for economics at oxbridge have also created their own club, where they made a website to upload their own economics articles related to the real world. I would suggest doing something similar to stand out if you're predicted A levels are lower but judging by your GCSE's, you can get. 4 A*.
Ohhh okay thank you! Also I think I’ve seen you in quite a few threads and you seem quite knowledgeable- do you mind if I PM you with a few questions?
dan140804
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ecoleaf)
Ohhh okay thank you! Also I think I’ve seen you in quite a few threads and you seem quite knowledgeable- do you mind if I PM you with a few questions?
Go for it.
leviticus.
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
cam don't care about gcses, for econ just be really good at maths because they will ask you maths stuff at interview
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
3.08%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (9)
13.85%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (10)
15.38%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (8)
12.31%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (25)
38.46%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (11)
16.92%

Watched Threads