BatmanRH
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi!

This is the second graduate job I've had an interview for since graduating last year.

I passed the first round, now the second is three "technical tests", consisting of in audit based checklist using a prepared set of accounts, excel exercise and a communication based scenario.

I have 1h 15m to complete them and I've never done anything like this before so really could use advice, TIA
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What type of firm? Have you got through the online tests?
BatmanRH
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by ajj2000)
What type of firm? Have you got through the online tests?
I'd say it's small-medium size. It's local to one region, with over 120 employees. There weren't any online tests, just a short (30m) interview
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by BatmanRH)
I'd say it's small-medium size. It's local to one region, with over 120 employees. There weren't any online tests, just a short (30m) interview
It will probably be an in house test so luckily nothing you could be prepared for. Sounds like you are doing well - these things take some time to set up and mark.

I think your real focus needs to be on being sharp in the test - so well rested, eat sensibly and have liquids as it can be hard working flat out under stress. I wouldn't get concerned if time seems really tight but do keep focussed and pressing on. I've been at the point of writing off jobs when the yests seemed too tough only to find out I'd done well.

One thing to watch is timing. You need to finish the presentation side of tasks - so if asked to write notes or a report leave time to do so even if your analysis is incomplete. If you need to read something then present allow some time to make notes for the presentation.

For the excel task try to make the design of the spreadsheet presentable.
josh_v
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
With a company that size, chances are it will be something prepared by that specific department. Thats not to say you cant prepare for it.

audit based checklist using a prepared set of accounts -Just give yourself a refresher of financial accounts (presuming you are already familiar with them). Make sure you know what goes where.

excel exercise - Familiarise yourself with basic functions and key shortcuts in Excel. lookup, index-match, grouping/ungrouping data, creating graphs, basic formatting. Key shortcuts save you loads of time as well.

communication based scenario - Bit harder to prep for. One thing you can do is be aware of your mannerisms and work on changing those (if needed). e.g. when I practiced for an interview presentation, it became clear that I have a tendency to not sit as upright as I should, and to move my hand in a certain way over and over again. I only became aware of it because i was doing some practice. Once I realised it was something I did, I was able to consciously stop it. Having interviewed people, body language makes a huge difference.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (19)
16.81%
I need help researching courses (8)
7.08%
I need help with filling out the application form (6)
5.31%
I need help with my personal statement (43)
38.05%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (28)
24.78%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
1.77%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (7)
6.19%

Watched Threads