where can i study my maths for free?

Watch
itsannemariekay
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
i currently work part time, im a mother and also studying an access to he course, but to be able get into university, i ideally need my maths. i wont have time go college so really will have juggle with it online..
thankyou!
NovaeSci
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Is the level required at A-Levels Maths, or GCSE, that you need?
itsannemariekay
Rep:
?
(Original post by NovaeSci)
Is the level required at A-Levels Maths, or GCSE, that you need?
GSCE, may i add .. i am awful at maths but i need to up my game if i want go uni!
NovaeSci
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by itsannemariekay)
GSCE, may i add .. i am awful at maths but i need to up my game if i want go uni!
You can always study MU123 - Discovering Mathematics at the Open University. It's 30 credits and equivalent to GCSE in terms of the level of the topics covered. It will be available to study on a part-time student loan, and because you don't achieve a qualification like a Certificate of HE, it won't impact or interfere with your eligibility for full-time funding when you start at a brick university.

https://www.open.ac.uk/courses/modules/mu123
Last edited by NovaeSci; 1 month ago
itsannemariekay
Rep:
?
(Original post by NovaeSci)
You can always study MU123 - Discovering Mathematics at the Open University. It's 30 credits and equivalent to GCSE in terms of the level of the topics covered. It will be available to study on a part-time student loan, and because you don't achieve a qualification like a Certificate of HE, it won't impact or interfere with your eligibility for full-time funding when you start at a brick university.

https://www.open.ac.uk/courses/modules/mu123
oh brilliant, thankyou so much. im paying the access to HE course, but always wondered if i could qualify for study maths for free or funded. i will look into it, thankyou.
JemimaJ24
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by itsannemariekay)
oh brilliant, thankyou so much. im paying the access to HE course, but always wondered if i could qualify for study maths for free or funded. i will look into it, thankyou.
Hi,

Did you have an advanced learner loan to do your access course? If so you only pay this if you don’t finish university but if you finish university it’s wiped off what you owe.. so don’t panic.

Are you sure your course requires maths? I have dyslexia & dyscalculia we found out after I completed my access course this year, but my university course doesn’t require maths - I had 6 offers and only 2 required maths grade 4!

I made sure to find the courses without maths, and criminology at different universities near me all had different UCAS points or distinctions etc and maths requirements so it’s worth looking around.
itsannemariekay
Rep:
?
(Original post by JemimaJ24)
Hi,

Did you have an advanced learner loan to do your access course? If so you only pay this if you don’t finish university but if you finish university it’s wiped off what you owe.. so don’t panic.

Are you sure your course requires maths? I have dyslexia & dyscalculia we found out after I completed my access course this year, but my university course doesn’t require maths - I had 6 offers and only 2 required maths grade 4!

I made sure to find the courses without maths, and criminology at different universities near me all had different UCAS points or distinctions etc and maths requirements so it’s worth looking around.
hey,
No I'm paying it out of my own money as the Learn direct don't accept student financial loans, etc.
And yes they require maths and English at grade C or above or equivalent, for example, functional skills level 2 maths and so on, i don't have maths so its a bummer really, I am 26 so I was hoping as being a mature student they would let this slide, As will have enough ucas points ect. but not sure they will. most psychology degrees require maths.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.39%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (29)
16.48%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (29)
16.48%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (24)
13.64%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (48)
27.27%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
18.75%

Watched Threads