Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I had been doing really well in my degree, and now that I am near finishing, graduating in a month, I have this irrational fear that my last few modules let me down and I won't be able to come out with a 2:1 like I was predicted. I have been accepted to re-sit one of my exams, and am waiting on the confirmation to re-sit another. These 2 exams if gone well could change my whole outlook and give me a chance of achieving a 2:1. I have planned to do Medicine, and during my A-levels had offers for med, however due to personal circumstances was not able to achieve the grades I wanted. I am currently stressed out and beyond anxious about the outcome of my degree and the possible chances of never getting into medicine. If anyone knows or has had similar experiences and found a way, any advice will be highly appreciated as I am slowly losing hope.
Stumpy1001
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
not to add worry but aren't resits capped at 40%. did you factor that in?
Turning_A_Corner
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Confront the fear. You don’t get a 2.1. What do you do next?

You look at the universities that accept a 2.2. There are a few more than you might think. You aim for those.

Alternative: maybe you reflect. Do you really want to spend a large chunk of your life engaging in a highly academic process of medical career development with lots of exams when it clearly stresses you out? Maybe you do, in which case check the universities specifying a 2.2. Maybe you don’t, in which case reflect again.

Do you just want to do medicine? Or are there any other patient-facing healthcare careers you can see yourself in? Many of those are accessible with a 2.2. If you can’t, reflect again. If healthcare isn’t a sector that would attract you apart from medicine, why are you so interested in medicine?

If you do get a 2.2, medicine becomes more difficult to access. You have to really examine your motives and be sure that this is something that’s going to be worth the extra effort, perhaps years of effort and maybe putting your career on hold to achieve. I didn’t have a 2.2 to overcome when I decided to apply for medicine but I did have obstacles and challenges and I knew I had to confront these to move forward. And I set myself a limit. Two tries and no more. After that, I draw a line and move on with my life. Because you can’t put your life on hold forever. Life doesn’t end because you have a 2.2 and life isn’t not worth living just because you don’t do medicine.
ashahid7
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Stumpy1001)
not to add worry but aren't resits capped at 40%. did you factor that in?
Due to covid we have a no detriment policy, which allows us to resit exams uncapped
ashahid7
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Turning_A_Corner)
Confront the fear. You don’t get a 2.1. What do you do next?

You look at the universities that accept a 2.2. There are a few more than you might think. You aim for those.

Alternative: maybe you reflect. Do you really want to spend a large chunk of your life engaging in a highly academic process of medical career development with lots of exams when it clearly stresses you out? Maybe you do, in which case check the universities specifying a 2.2. Maybe you don’t, in which case reflect again.

Do you just want to do medicine? Or are there any other patient-facing healthcare careers you can see yourself in? Many of those are accessible with a 2.2. If you can’t, reflect again. If healthcare isn’t a sector that would attract you apart from medicine, why are you so interested in medicine?

If you do get a 2.2, medicine becomes more difficult to access. You have to really examine your motives and be sure that this is something that’s going to be worth the extra effort, perhaps years of effort and maybe putting your career on hold to achieve. I didn’t have a 2.2 to overcome when I decided to apply for medicine but I did have obstacles and challenges and I knew I had to confront these to move forward. And I set myself a limit. Two tries and no more. After that, I draw a line and move on with my life. Because you can’t put your life on hold forever. Life doesn’t end because you have a 2.2 and life isn’t not worth living just because you don’t do medicine.
Thank you for this. Hearing someone saying that sounds right - for as long as I can remember I’ve wanted to do Medicine, I think I need to accept the fact that maybe I’m not cut out for it and I need to widen my options and consider other careers. It’s just daunting to have worked hard the last 3 years for a degree to not expect the result I wanted. I had done well in subcomponents but because of 2/3 subcomponents making up a module grade, I’ve been let down. Thank you for the advice and I do think I need to reconsider everything. It’s just that everyone says a 2:2 is something anyone could’ve gotten and those that come out with a 2:2 were meant for a 2:1 but didn’t put enough effort in :/
Stumpy1001
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ashahid7)
Due to covid we have a no detriment policy, which allows us to resit exams uncapped
if you submit mitigating circumstances
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.38%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
15.16%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (44)
18.03%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.34%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (63)
25.82%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.26%

Watched Threads