Need help persuading my parents with uni accomodations

Watch
shookie_.02
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey, I'm a current undergraduate applicant for BEng Chemical Engineering and I need help from anyone who may have been (or may still be) in the same situation as me!

So the situation is that, my insurance choice (which is highly likely to be my destination) requires me to live away from home into the campus. Now the twist here is that I have quite strict parents, so the idea of moving an hour and a half away from them is extremely shocking and impossible.

Every other uni which does my course is outside London (where I live), so this uni is my best option. How can I persuade my parents to let me live away from home? I know it might not be a big deal for a lot of people at all, but as a somewhat traditional asian girl, this can be quite a sticky situation.
I really hope someone can get back to me soon, I'm kind of losing my mind at the moment :/

I hope you have a great day, stay safe and GOOD LUCK ON YOUR RESULTS!!
pineapplemango
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I personally have never been in this situation, but one of my friends was and I helped him convince his parents to let him move into uni accommodation an hour away. No guarantee that this would work for you, but I thought I would pass along some general advice

It might take you going out of your way a bit, at least in the beginning until they get used to you living away.

My friend kind of convinced his parents with this agreement:
- He would call every day, or at least text if he was very busy
- He would come home every single weekend and holiday
- He told them he would share his location on his phone at all times (although they kind of forgot about this, so it never came to it)
- He brought them on move in day so they could see the accommodation he was living in, which made them feel more comfortable
- He shared his class schedule with them, so they had some general idea of what he was doing during the days and when
- He had a sit down talk with them where he explained how the university was the best university for him, he wanted to go there to get a good education and make them proud, and explained how he would only able to attend if he lived there. Make sure they understand how important it is to you, and if they agree to just think about it even thats a start
- He showed them videos of the university, the course catalogue, and all that stuff so they kind of got an idea of the place and so they could see that it was a good university

Eventually they got so used to him living away, that after the first semester he just came home when he felt like it and called when he felt like it etc. I have some other friends from various cultural backgrounds who was in similar situations as well, and it was mainly just a matter of the parents getting used to their kids living away and seing that it really was the best option and that it wasnt dangerous or anything.

I really hope you mange to persuade your parents, wish you all the best! Good luck
Last edited by pineapplemango; 1 month ago
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by pineapplemango)
I personally have never been in this situation, but one of my friends was and I helped him convince his parents to let him move into uni accommodation an hour away. No guarantee that this would work for you, but I thought I would pass along some general advice

It might take you going out of your way a bit, at least in the beginning until they get used to you living away.

My friend kind of convinced his parents with this agreement:
- He would call every day, or at least text if he was very busy
- He would come home every single weekend and holiday
- He told them he would share his location on his phone at all times (although they kind of forgot about this, so it never came to it)
- He brought them on move in day so they could see the accommodation he was living in, which made them feel more comfortable
- He shared his class schedule with them, so they had some general idea of what he was doing during the days and when
- He had a sit down talk with them where he explained how the university was the best university for him, he wanted to go there to get a good education and make them proud, and explained how he would only able to attend if he lived there. Make sure they understand how important it is to you, and if they agree to just think about it even thats a start
- He showed them videos of the university, the course catalogue, and all that stuff so they kind of got an idea of the place and so they could see that it was a good university

Eventually they got so used to him living away, that after the first semester he just came home when he felt like it and called when he felt like it etc. I have some other friends from various cultural backgrounds who was in similar situations as well, and it was mainly just a matter of the parents getting used to their kids living away and seing that it really was the best option and that it wasnt dangerous or anything.

I really hope you mange to persuade your parents, wish you all the best! Good luck
Hi!

This is really good advice! I've never had this issue, so great ideas.

Also, remind them that university accommodation has its own security, 24/7, to put their mind at ease.
Some students I know ask to live in same-sex flats too, as I know sometimes this can be due to traditional and cultural backgrounds and personal circumstances.
Even allowing parents to visit every so often (once a month) to make them feel comfortable.

I hope this helps!
Best wishes
Chloe - Official Student Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (25)
13.66%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.56%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.92%
I need help with my personal statement (76)
41.53%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (44)
24.04%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.64%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (14)
7.65%

Watched Threads