Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
My and I were talking about the topic of 'talent'. As a bit of background when I was really small like 5 yrs old I was always amazed by my old brothers artwork. I wanted to draw and paint just like him. I would I asked him to draw pictures for me.

Growing up I began to practice drawing and painting learning about different techniques. I liked writing stories and drawing pictures to go with my writing.

I got a grade A in art and design GCSE and went to study art and design in college.

I'm in my 20s now and I graduated in a design course at university. I hope to get a job within design. Whilst at uni I had a head injury and my mind was a mess, I had to do the rest of my studies at home But I still kept pushing and I finished my course and I did graduate with a really good degree.

I am always grateful for my brothers help and guidance he has given me and still continues to offer me advice. However it was mostly me who continued to learn and push further in my career.

My brother and I have a 4 year age gap.

So any way with my dad, he basically told me about my brothers talent of being really art and design. Then my dad said to me "Everyone has a talent, Bu I don't know what your talent is because you just copied from your brother" I didn't say anything because I was really speechless

Was this a mean thing to say? Be Kind
Thank you
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
In my opinion, I would be offended by that mean comment. Yes you may have been in awe of your brothers work but its an amazing talent that both you and your brother share. You may have started of copying his work and learning from him but once you get older you discover your own flare. Your dad should be so proud that both you and your brother have this incredible gift. Even though you had a head injury you persevered and got yourself an amazing degree. It was really unfair of your dad to say that but you shouldn't let it dishearten you in any way. Stay strong and maybe speak to your dad about it. Good luck and I hope you get a job within design soon. All the best x🙂😃
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
In my opinion, I would be offended by that mean comment. Yes you may have been in awe of your brothers work but its an amazing talent that both you and your brother share. You may have started of copying his work and learning from him but once you get older you discover your own flare. Your dad should be so proud that both you and your brother have this incredible gift. Even though you had a head injury you persevered and got yourself an amazing degree. It was really unfair of your dad to say that but you shouldn't let it dishearten you in any way. Stay strong and maybe speak to your dad about it. Good luck and I hope you get a job within design soon. All the best x🙂😃
Thank you (:
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
yeah, *****y thing for your dad to say
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Thank you (:
No problem 😃
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What a horrible thing to say. My sister and I are both going into psychology (albeit different areas) but our parents would never openly compare us. It's okay to be inspired by people - how else are you supposed to know where you passions lie? - and the person you admired and were motivated by just happens to be your brother. It's also perfectly possible for two people to be interested in and talented at the same thing.
Last edited by bones-mccoy; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (17)
7.36%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
14.72%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (40)
17.32%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
14.72%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (61)
26.41%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (45)
19.48%

Watched Threads