Should I do a literature or creative writing masters?

Watch
word_boxed
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have just finished my undergrad in Literature and was planning on taking the year out to think about what I want to do (in Scotland). I really want to do a masters but I have no set goals for life/career. I want to do something somewhat creative as I would like to pursue something generally to do with books, writing, and even film/tv, which yes, I know, you don't need a masters for. My options are limited in terms of courses as It has to be distance learning/online and I have been really set on doing a literature based masters and just dismissed Creative Writing, is this a good option? is it even worth it? I've been under the impression that doing something literature based would offer be more options (if any) in the future. However, masters in literature online are scarce and mostly limited to research degrees which I'm not sure I'm ready for. Any advice, personal experiences?
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by word_boxed)
I have just finished my undergrad in Literature and was planning on taking the year out to think about what I want to do (in Scotland). I really want to do a masters but I have no set goals for life/career. I want to do something somewhat creative as I would like to pursue something generally to do with books, writing, and even film/tv, which yes, I know, you don't need a masters for. My options are limited in terms of courses as It has to be distance learning/online and I have been really set on doing a literature based masters and just dismissed Creative Writing, is this a good option? is it even worth it? I've been under the impression that doing something literature based would offer be more options (if any) in the future. However, masters in literature online are scarce and mostly limited to research degrees which I'm not sure I'm ready for. Any advice, personal experiences?
Hi there,

First and foremost I would say do what you will enjoy the most! This will ensure that no matter what you do it will be productive. Regarding career prospects have a little browse on the prospect website as they detail possible careers and companies that hire particular roles. Prospects website also discuss on how to chose the right Masters, this webpage can be found here- https://www.prospects.ac.uk/postgrad...s-right-for-me.

I hope this helps
Loren Snowden
UoP Student Ambassador
word_boxed
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hi there,

First and foremost I would say do what you will enjoy the most! This will ensure that no matter what you do it will be productive. Regarding career prospects have a little browse on the prospect website as they detail possible careers and companies that hire particular roles. Prospects website also discuss on how to chose the right Masters, this webpage can be found here- https://www.prospects.ac.uk/postgrad...s-right-for-me.

I hope this helps
Loren Snowden
UoP Student Ambassador
thanks for your reply and advice!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
3.7%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (7)
12.96%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (8)
14.81%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (6)
11.11%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (21)
38.89%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (10)
18.52%

Watched Threads