Are universities scared of mental health problems?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,

So I've started this discussion after a conversation with staff at my uni about dropping out of a course due to stress and 'mental health' which is a word they used and to be honest they sounded like they were afraid as they started talking about 'the possibility of me becoming ill' and 'having to deal with that' 'which would be unfair to other students'. I had a sense of déjà vu since I've had a friend describe a similar experience to me and having attend another university years ago, I remember a similar sense of fear with regards to mental health problems and fitness to practice when it was discussed in introductory lectures as well.

So, I was wondering how other people think different unis have treated mental health problems (and stress)? How has the support been? Do they like discussing it or do you think any unis are somewhat scared of the subject of mental health problems?
Mr Wednesday
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi,

So I've started this discussion after a conversation with staff at my uni about dropping out of a course due to stress and 'mental health' which is a word they used and to be honest they sounded like they were afraid as they started talking about 'the possibility of me becoming ill' and 'having to deal with that' 'which would be unfair to other students'. I had a sense of déjà vu since I've had a friend describe a similar experience to me and having attend another university years ago, I remember a similar sense of fear with regards to mental health problems and fitness to practice when it was discussed in introductory lectures as well.

So, I was wondering how other people think different unis have treated mental health problems (and stress)? How has the support been? Do they like discussing it or do you think any unis are somewhat scared of the subject of mental health problems?
When approaching this subject I think it’s important to remember that universities have teaching and research as their core missions, they are not the NHS and not there to treat you if you are ill on arrival or develop a serious illness. The majority do have some internal services to help students, but there is a real limit to what they are likely to be able to provide. For example your personal tutor is very unlikely to have professional MH training, all they can do is direct you “up the chain” to support services, and unless those include a GP practice on site, they can’t proscribe drugs or hospital treatment.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (5)
3.73%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (23)
17.16%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (24)
17.91%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (19)
14.18%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (39)
29.1%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (24)
17.91%

Watched Threads