The Student Room Group

Year 12 should I drop out ?

I have just fished year 12 studying English lit, psychology and sociology which I didn't necessarily do bad got a B in Psych and Socio apart from English lit which I got a D. My dilemma is I absolutely can't stand the A levels I picked they make me anxious and I find the content very boring. It has made me unmotivated at times but one thing about me is i am afraid of failure so will manage to push myself to get decent grades. My dilemma is that is it better for me to drop out? and switch to Btec level 3 early years educator as I have come to the conclusion that I want to become a primary school teacher. I have looked into it and feels right to me. However i don't know whether I will be rejected by Uni or will they look down to me for switching to Btec. I really don't know if I should re pick my levels or carry on living in Hell or switch to Btec. My issue is I don't know what my passion is when I got my GCSE results i generally did well in all of them but couldn't pinpoint what interests me the most which made me very hasty and indecisive this is why the entire year of year 12 i kept on changing my choices and eventually chose the worst one apart from psychology which i enjoyed a lot. Please help me out its taken me weeks to make sure i'm making the right decision and i really need to confirm whether to stay or switch also i heave coursework and exams on the first day as part as my summer work which I haven't done at all.
Reply 1
maybe retake the year ? or talk to some teachers about how your feeling , honestly I don’t enjoy my a level subjects that much either I honestly think it’s because of the heavy workload of A levels it’s just sucked out the joy from the subject for me
Hi there. Some objective advice. It’s very easy to get caught up with what one should and should not do according to society’s pressures and this in turn leads to a feeling of fear of failing. But you can’t fail. Things can work out ot not work out and you will find another way around something. At the end of the day the important thing is your well being. A levels are important if you want an academic degree. And then they are only worth something of you do well in them. If you are unhappy with your choices and it’s is making you feel anxious and unwell you need to take a step back and explore this. You should also ask yourself what it is you wish to do after your A levels? If what you want to do is pursue you career as a primary school teacher and you don’t need to don’t need to do A levels then there is no shame on stopping and doing what you want to do. Trust yourself. Understand there is no wrong decision if it sits right with you. In this country we have a “one size fits all” mentality to education and as we know we are all different. Don’t feel pressured. There is time. Life is not a race, try to enjoy the ride.So what makes you happy, follow your heart. I teach at university and all too often students arrive because they got stuck on a conveyer belt of education only to discover Uni is not for them. It’s ok to realise this. And it’s ok to pursue what fits right for you. Do not fear failure. Life is about finding what is right for you. Whatever you decide, own that decision. I wish you all the best on the journey ahead. Make it fun. Look after yourself. X
Reply 3
Hiya, at my school there was lots of people who retook year 12 because they wanted to do different subjects, so if you have some subjects in mind that you would prefer, retaking could be a good option. On the other hand, if the Btec is related to the exact course you wish to study at uni, I don’t see why it would be a disadvantage during the application process. Good luck with making your decision, but you’ll be fine either way :smile:
Reply 4
Thank you so muchhh for taking the time to write this, I am shook this message spoke directly to me very passionate and insightful.

Quick Reply

Latest