Hannah18262
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m currently studying Business with Economics. From September I will be moving onto my 2nd year.

I’m planning to do a study abroad year next year (worth 120 credits) still unsure about it though.

But I’m sure that I will want to complete a Masters degree in Finance - or something similar to finance.

Is masters worth it though?
I know that it’s definitely not a waste of time, however, will it make me more employable in order to skip SOME “steps” when moving onto different departments (for example some people start as personal bankers, then move onto being a senior personal banker and then they become a branch manager etc) it takes years for some people.

If I will do a masters degree will this make it easier for me to skip this? I don’t know anybody who’s completed a masters degree that’s why I’m curious of what other people think.

When it comes to where I want to work.. definitely commercial banking / investment banking (yes I know it’s hard to get into it that’s why I always have a plan B - data science (coding etc)
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Hannah18262)
I’m currently studying Business with Economics. From September I will be moving onto my 2nd year.

I’m planning to do a study abroad year next year (worth 120 credits) still unsure about it though.

But I’m sure that I will want to complete a Masters degree in Finance - or something similar to finance.

Is masters worth it though?
I know that it’s definitely not a waste of time, however, will it make me more employable in order to skip SOME “steps” when moving onto different departments (for example some people start as personal bankers, then move onto being a senior personal banker and then they become a branch manager etc) it takes years for some people.

If I will do a masters degree will this make it easier for me to skip this? I don’t know anybody who’s completed a masters degree that’s why I’m curious of what other people think.

When it comes to where I want to work.. definitely commercial banking / investment banking (yes I know it’s hard to get into it that’s why I always have a plan B - data science (coding etc)
Hi,

I would suggest talking to some professionals in the industry, if you know anyone, as they may be able to give the best advice. I personally think that masters are worth it, but also relevant job experience. Since you're still doing undergrad you have time (e.g. 2 summer breaks) before you would start masters and you could spend those summers doing internships so you get a feel, boost your employability and also you'll be able to talk to industry professionals about the best way forward. You could also see if there are taster day events/insight programs/graduate schemes that are held by banks/firms/wherever you're hoping to work that you could attend. Hope that helps!

Samantha, Official UoP Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (19)
16.52%
I need help researching courses (8)
6.96%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
6.09%
I need help with my personal statement (44)
38.26%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (28)
24.35%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
1.74%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (7)
6.09%

Watched Threads